Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

I think tony is right on he wedge idea. No table saw, but I should be able to get close enough with the hand saw to reduce the need for the table saw. I'm also thinking that I need to see how wet she is before I commit to the foredeck. I hate the idea of adding it later but there are too many questions on need in my mind right now.

I finished to mid frame on both sides. Moving to parent stop and will think about the foredeck again befor I go forward of that.

Tony, that router is just about perfect for everything a non pro would need. I used to have a table for it and was able to turn out decent, but simple, trim molding for furniture. The new version of the model seems to have more play in the shaft bearings after moderate use though. They are cheap enough that I'm not sure it's a real concern for the home "carpenter".
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Dang you Tony!

Now that I'm done with everything behind the mast partner I made the mistake of saying to myself, "self, did you ever see how far you can reach under that deck?" To which I replied, "shut up!" After several minutes of the silent treatment self said, "you know, if we clamp it all back on we can sit in it and pretend to be fishing..." some girlish giggling was followed by some fake rowing and a few test casts. The pretend caption hollard "drop anchor and prepare my run!" The first mate scurried forward and yelled "kill the carpenter! No one can reach the bow anchor under the foredeck sir!"

I'm sitting here thinking that shortening the deck won't help. It's the mast partner that is the problem. The idea is still valid for stowage but anything in the bow will require completely removing everything else. Not sure that's a problem but it's giving me pause.

How is this Tony's fault? I was thinking about his implication that the idea was better served with a hatch and wanted to prove him wrong.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, I really enjoy reading your posts!! Hope your son is doing well!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I figure if they aren't educational they should be humorous.

That dinglebat. First he's jumping out of airplanes. Then helicopters. Now he's snowboarding. You'd think he'd get enough thrills at some point.

He's doing great. Starting to get "a crew" of older but still single guys to hang out with. As "the kid" he's the DD so isn't spending much money in stupid things. Makes mom and dad proud to see him really having a life on his own.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well...

Here's what I ended with after running the flush to the point where the mast partner is located. I kept looking at it thinking "there has to be a better way to do this"

Eventually I just said "fork it" and ran the bit all the way down the rail end to end. That resulted in this at the bow

Oddly, the mast partner fit much better.

This leaves me with the gap to fill. It is smaller than anticipated... less than 1/2" ... and I'll just fill it with thickened epoxy.

At this point I'm abandoning my deck plan and going with the default breasthook. Here's the test fitting.

At this point I'm out of time to get epoxy and glass on today. I'm also thinking that I don't want to glass until I've got the bottom of the rail cleaned up a lot. That will require flipping the boat. Just need to figure out if I should "finish" the top with breasthook, knees and mid seat before I flip. Could go as far as painting the inside at this point as well. All the inside needs is a little fairing to cover some tape.

On second thought, I'll wait to finish the inside a bit longer.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

That bow looks great! I'm prepared to even go to amazing.
You know, the anchor can be stowed anywhere and the rode can be laid in the bow. You can even cleat off an anticipated length and then anchoring is just a matter of tossing it overboard and letting it pay out.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Thanks! I wanted to get some epoxy on it but need to either use slow (nooooo) or wait till I have time to get all the filler ready. I'll get some pics with straight epoxy... it will look a even better once the stops "pop".

To get that bow I did have to use a rasp plane and a bit of 40grit. I'm thrilled with the shape and feel all the way down. All the "ripples" are due to me moving my feet not issues with the guide edge. They occur at regular 18" intervals :-)

My anchor plan involved 2 5gal buckets (or whatever will hold 100' of rhode). Cleat will be at mast partner with a pvc guide over the breast hook. Toss anchor over side, throw over guide, let it grab. Raisingg is just load it In the bucket until the anchor hits the bow, release from guide, stow anchor on board.

I did a test fit and while not as sheltered as I like, that breast hook may give just enough for my clothes bag. For now. I can always add more cover later if I really need it. I may be better served with a raised crate covered with a tarp. Right now I'm just ready to get in the water.

I need to decide if I seal the rail then flip to finish bottom, or finish the mast partner/breasthook before flip. Thoughts?

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I don't have any opinion on the sequence but in regard to stowage, what percentage of the time are you going to be overnighting when you need a change of clothes? If it is not the majority of the time, I see no problem at all with a couple of dry bags thrown in the bow. No extra construction and it leaves the area versatile.
Tony

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, looking really good!! Nice bow!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:18 pm I don't have any opinion on the sequence but in regard to stowage, what percentage of the time are you going to be overnighting when you need a change of clothes? If it is not the majority of the time, I see no problem at all with a couple of dry bags thrown in the bow. No extra construction and it leaves the area versatile.
Lil Bit is a grocery getter. I need to scout more spots and get the groceries soon. I'm expecting overnights every week depending on tide and weather. Do I need changes of clothes on fishing trips? Not in the sense of looking and smelling nice for dinner. But I do need to be prepared for conditions and gettih dry/warm.

The "clothes bag" contents:
Dry hot weather
Dry cold weather
Emergency rations
Water maker

The "overnight bag" also needs to be dry. Contents:
Wool blanket
Canvas hammock (still making this)
Mosquito netting
Emergency rations
Water maker

My stove is a self contained "rocket" stove that will keeps its fuel dry but it should still be protected a little. Need to make a newer one for Lil Bit though.

Other things that were slated to be protected:
Backup VHF (handheld)
12v batt and electronics chargers
Running lights (portable but need to be locatable fast)
Emergency flares
First aid

I'm big on having things in predictable locations. Being able to put them all under the deck would make it simple to locate in a panic AND easy to make sure they are there before heading out.

If youre keeping track, 100' of anchor rhode, multiple VHF, running lights, flares should start to give you an idea of where this is heading.