Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by dbcrx »

I prefer the dry guide coat too. It's quick and easy to apply, gives a much fully even coat than a spray can and can be sanded straight away. Here's a link which discusses guide coats with some pick of me using graphite as a cheaper alternative - http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... 10#p343128
I haven't used the 3m stuff, but have used another brand name one. It is more expensive, but is darker than the graphite. And a little goes a long way, so I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of a tub.
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

dbcrx wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:16 pm I prefer the dry guide coat too. It's quick and easy to apply, gives a much fully even coat than a spray can and can be sanded straight away. Here's a link which discusses guide coats with some pick of me using graphite as a cheaper alternative - http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... 10#p343128
I haven't used the 3m stuff, but have used another brand name one. It is more expensive, but is darker than the graphite. And a little goes a long way, so I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of a tub.
Thanks Dave, That looks like the trick. :wink:

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

I always thought graphite as a guide coat was a great idea, especially since if you drag it around it spreads further. That and it increases strength within the epoxy instead of being weaker like paint (not that you use much, but still)

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

GUIDE COAT

Next time you do a guide coat take some denatured alcohol and add food coloring to it. Don a pair of gloves, soak a cloth, and wipe the boat down. It's alcohol and will evaporate/dry in no time.

Go ahead and test this now on a small spot on the boat. You'll see how easy it is.

Best of luck to you.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

The quote below was made by a friend of mine on another fishing forum. In full disclosure, his name is Bill Schwab, and he is an owner at Lightning Yachts located at the Jarrett Bay Marine Industrial Park in Beaufort, North Carolina. Bill is...as we say...THE MAN.

"...food coloring and denatured alcohol wiped on with a rag, cleans and fills pinholes so you can spot them easily, just have to blow off the surface during sanding so any dust filling the holes doesn't hide them."

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Graphite is what I use. It is also what professional plug builders use and it is used by many auto body shops.

You may wonder why some of my tutorials show spray paint? Simple, we were out of graphite those days and spray paint is a good substitute.

Another good guide coat is alcohol or water with ink. There is a special ink used by pattern makers: Dykem.
Food color sounds like a good idea too but try graphite, it is very fine, show every scratch, no liquid and it is 100% compatible with epoxy.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Thank You Everyone for the help!

Tom here is the paint I bought. The "dries in 15 minutes" is what got my attention. It can't be the right stuff.

Here is why I say that. This is after 2 days of cure time. One minute of sanding and my paper looks like this. :x
I'll wait on the 3M stuff to come monday. I'd never use this paint again for this purpose.

So I finished the Quick Fair application from Chine to Trim line. I changed the way I was putting it on. I found it easier to apply it to the surface just under the spray rail first. Then I applied it above the trim line. The bow took a good bit more to fill. There are multiple overlaps of biax just under the spray rail area. I'm pretty happy with where I am.

Time to take the girls out for lunch!!
A Happy Weekend to you all!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Boat is looking very nice there Eric. Even with the guide coat headaches you are getting there.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Thank You Buddy! heal up and get back to that rebuild! Honey,Lemon and Bourbon.
Honey for antibiotics, Lemon for vitamin C, Bourbon just because Bourbon. You'll feel better.

csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by csotelo »

Hey,

It´s looking very good!

I used the spray paint after I saw you doing!

It helped a lot, but the fairing drank some paint and the points where the fairing board just touch it stayed colored.

Regards,

Carlos Sotelo