Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

Lil Bit will stay upright. If I get my way on #2, I'll be disappointed if I'm not in the drink pretty often. SB18 and other boats in that class should be used to push your sailing. Explore the limits of, and then expand your skills. That typically means you walk a very fine line between "in control" and "WHO THE HELL IS DRIVING THIS THING!?!? DEAR LORD WE ARE GOING TO DIE!!!" I know I'm competent to handle Lil Bit in anything short of a hurricane and I can manage one of the big cruisers in normal conditions but I need to get used to abnormal conditions. What better way to do that than flying like a bat out of hell in a Martens/Goossens/Gatehouse boat?

Boat three is the question... VG26 has real appeal. Just need to wrap my head around the idea of living in something that small...

Anyway... I've managed to off topic my own thread. Let's see you beat that!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Managed to get some epoxy on the freshly exposed parts of the rail at lunch

Almost makes me think about keeping it bright. Almost.

Hoping to get her flipped, dagger trunk cut/glassed to hull tonight. That will have me starting final fairing at lunch tomorrow. I've decided I'm going to "good enough from next door". Work boat all day.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

A little bit of work boat finish is not the end of the world. With all the works of art posted here I sometimes think there is too much pressure to follow suit. I on the other hand am happy with work boat, maybe because that is as good as I can do :roll:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

You have to remember I'm hand launching. I'm dragging through oysters. I'm using her as a camper (unless the wife is on board, then she's just a little people with lunch carrier). She want make it into the water before she's gouged and scraped. I think that happened to Tony's v10 (sketch on the rocks). I know she's doomed. Takes a load off my mind.

I'll be ignoring the guide coat. I may do it just for laughs, but not for anything else.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, you have accomplished quite a bit with this build and she is really starting to look good!! Jeff

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I'll be ignoring the guide coat. I may do it just for laughs, but not for anything else.
I wouldn't do it for laughs. There is absolutely nothing funny about it. 8O :oops: :lol:

When I started my boat I was going to go for a workboat finish but things kind of got out of control. She's getting trashed but still looks pretty danged good. However, I reiterate my satisfaction at having made the decision to go for Interlux Brightside insead of the high-priced stuff. With proper application it looks great and no kind of paint, even graphite/epoxy, is going to withstand hauling her up a rocky beach.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jeff wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:59 pm Jaysen, you have accomplished quite a bit with this build and she is really starting to look good!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff... more in a minute...

terrulian wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:51 pm I wouldn't do it for laughs. There is absolutely nothing funny about it.
I'm sure once I see how bad it really is, i'll deal with the most egregious parts. I'm just not as interested in sanding as I am in going fishing though.

I did spring for the EMC. That said, she's going to be graphite for the most part. likely only a few inches of yellow under the rub rail. The rest will be graphite black. I'll be using more of the FLY on the interior where it will last longer :)

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Given the conversation last night I was a bit surprised to find this gift from my son... An early birthday gift!

She's not so fat that I can't roll her over on my own!

The daggerboard trunk was the goal for the evening

SOB tool made short and not too messy work out of it.

A few minutes with the RO and ...

And she's glassed.

I'm not too confident in this glass job. I feel that I did not get a large enough radius on the trunk. Lunch tomorrow could be spent swearing and grinding and swearing. Maybe just sanding. I'm never that lucky though.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Glass job looks good from here :wink:
I can tell sooner or later you are going to learn to love that S.O.B. tool :lol:
The rest of your glass on the bottom looks real good. I bet the fairing is not going to be that bad.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Whether on not for aesthetic reasons you decide you do not really need a boat show finish, there is a practical advantage to fairing, since smoothness definitely affects sailing performance--as I'm sure you know. With graphite you'll never achieve the kind of surface that racers like, but you will be well served not to leave any real roughness. I agree with Fuzz that it looks good and although any level of fairing takes some elbow grease, you seem to have left yourself with a very good foundation to work with.
Tony