Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Jeff »

Glad it worked out for you!!!!! No grinding!! Jeff

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Eric,
It is unlikely caused by you at all. I'm seeing on my build that the panels can dip in between the mold frames due to the weight of the unsupported panel. I've tried to minimize it, but when you flip the boat, my guess is that the dip disappears.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

It's been a hectic day. I only managed to get this little bit done.
I started putting Quick Fair on the lower panel. I've used 120 grams but it's not covered yet.
I'm try to go very thin as most of the lows are only as tall as the blue guide coat I had applied.

From the bow.

I'm ready for a strong drink tonight.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Browndog wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:27 pm Eric,
It is unlikely caused by you at all. I'm seeing on my build that the panels can dip in between the mold frames due to the weight of the unsupported panel. I've tried to minimize it, but when you flip the boat, my guess is that the dip disappears.
Hey Browndog,

Go up on the page where Jacques responded. As I have multiple overlaps from the extra layer I added that made it higher than normal. I'm gonna leave it be. I have never been offshore where I didn't have to run trim tabs down anyway.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Eric,

You and me both. Use the trim tabs all the time. It is comforting from Jacques response that it is not a big deal. Thankfully there seems to be some wiggle room in boat building, compared to other forms of construction. Guess that is why I like it so much, don't have to be a brain surgeon. The boat is looking really nice. Can't wait to see her flipped.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Browndog wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:45 pm Eric,

You and me both. Use the trim tabs all the time. It is comforting from Jacques response that it is not a big deal. Thankfully there seems to be some wiggle room in boat building, compared to other forms of construction. Guess that is why I like it so much, don't have to be a brain surgeon. The boat is looking really nice. Can't wait to see her flipped.
Yes Sir Bro! Me too!! I was crapping bricks this morning. Thank You Too.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

I sanded the transom section, panel seam and bow only as I knew these areas would need more filler.
I'm either getting better at this or I was just lucky.
I only needed 45 more grams of Quick Fair to fill the lows and part of that I used to touch up a couple of places on the upper panel.

I'll start sanding the bottom after lunch.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Eric!!! Jeff

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Jeff wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:23 pm Nice Eric!!! Jeff
Thank you Jeff. :)

Spent the afternoon sanding the bottom.
I got decent results, still some spots to fill but not much.
I made it about 16' from transom then I called it a day.

Marking lows with pencil. It helps me remember them.

Going home to grab a shower before Bible study tonight. Y'all have a good evening and I'll see you tomorrow.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

I finished sanding the bow from the second pass of quick fair.
As before I circled the obvious lows with a carpenters pencil. I stumbled on a quick and easy way to "guide coat" the curve.
After sanding with a 16" block with 80 grit, I circled some of the lows with the pencil. Then realized I had not sanded with the 24" 120 grit block.
So I proceeded to sand over the whole surface. That revealed I was sanding away some of the pencil marks. I'm having a little bit of a time trying to see whats fair due to the different colors that blend from sanding quick fair against micro balloons. So I used the pencil to draw kind of an "S" shaped pattern over the bow and sanded again. That revealed a good bit of what I thought was low was already fair. Yes, I was chasing ghosts! Blame my eyes they are as old as the rest of me. LOL It also revealed some lows I thought were already fair.

This picture shows a circled low (sore thumb) and a low that I would have missed. Note the two near vertical lines.

This after sanding the whole bow area

From the front

The keel line looks like hammered dog poop but I'm going to address that after I get both bottom panels faired.