Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Fuzz »

Eric it sure sounds to me like you are at the point of needing to roll a thin coat of primer on, imho. That is the only way I can see how close I am. Boat is looking really nice.

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dbcrx »

There comes a point when fairing that you need to stop and put some primer on. I agree with fuzz that you seem to be at that point.

When you get down to small spot filling you can end up chasing round the boat again and again trying to fill low spots that may only be there as a result of the last round of sanding. Each batch of filler you do will sand slightly different, especially when you start mixing different materials into the game. You are now sanding fibreglass, microbaloons and quick fair. Even using a sanding block each surface will sand slightly different possibly causing new low spots.

Now would be the time to prime so you have a fresh even coat to see/work with. Apply the primer and then a guide coat. Sand untill the guide coat is gone or you start hitting filler/glass. That will show where you're really at.
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

dbcrx wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:05 pm There comes a point when fairing that you need to stop and put some primer on. I agree with fuzz that you seem to be at that point.

When you get down to small spot filling you can end up chasing round the boat again and again trying to fill low spots that may only be there as a result of the last round of sanding. Each batch of filler you do will sand slightly different, especially when you start mixing different materials into the game. You are now sanding fibreglass, microbaloons and quick fair. Even using a sanding block each surface will sand slightly different possibly causing new low spots.

Now would be the time to prime so you have a fresh even coat to see/work with. Apply the primer and then a guide coat. Sand untill the guide coat is gone or you start hitting filler/glass. That will show where you're really at.
Thanks Dave and Fuzz. I think y'all are right. I am going to spot the obvious lows and stop.
I will then fill and sand the strakes then move on to primer. I wanted to keep going today but I had to stop around 3.
I was sanding away and ran out of energy. There was nothing in my arms left, I am just flat out tired.
Thanks again for the help, it means a lot to me. :)

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

LOL told you that what? 1 or 2 weeks ago? 8) 8)

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

peter-curacao wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:38 pm LOL told you that what? 1 or 2 weeks ago? 8) 8)
I know. I have a hard head sometimes. :lol:

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Agree, you've hit that point. It also makes the rest of the small fairing bits go a lot quicker, and the guide coat stand out better.

Huntsabunch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Huntsabunch »

Looking good Eric. That's a lot of boat to sand. I agree a carpenter pencil is a good way to mark the little spots I'd notice. I also found I could watch the scratch pattern while I sanded. If I thought a place was low, I changed directions with the long board. If a new set of scratches didn't show up in the direction I was sanding I either kept sanding or used the pencil to mark it for filling. It's surprising how shallow of a dip you could detect. Also could tell it was low if the board didn't push all of the dust out of the way as I sanded. I'm going to have to get busy or you're going to pass me. :)

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Sanded previous fill and was still low at bow and the first long panel seam.
Another 60 grams of QF.

Filled under side of spray rail also, 60 more grams.

Used another 60 grams to fill these strakes.

Last was spot filling with the mixes from above.

I've tried to be as frugal as I can with the Quick Fair, so far this is half of what came with the kit.
I think I've stretched it pretty good.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes Eric, you have done extremely well with the QuickFair and amount used!!! Have a good evening!! Jeff

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Thank you Jeff, I wasn't sure.