Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Fuzz »

If it means anything you have used about 10% of what I would have used by now :D

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:00 pm If it means anything you have used about 10% of what I would have used by now :D
It does, I didn't have much go compare with. It seems everybody posts a fairing picture one day and the next day is primer. This is time consuming.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

No matter who you are fairing takes more time than anything else. And there are many different ways to get it done. Some guys want it perfect, some are good with work boat. Some guys try to use as little as possible fairing compound others lay it on like cake icing. I have never been able to sand the same day so I tend to put too much on so I do not need to come back to the same place three or four days in a row. I am not sure there is an absolute best way to do it. The way that makes you happy is the best way for you.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Eric your doing a great job. Don't be afraid to do a guide coat as you get close to the final coat. I will even do one on the first coat of primer since Quick Fair will adhere to the Silver Tip High Build Epoxy Primer. It is just a matter of how perfect you want you want the sides to be. The bottom should be fine by now.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Huntsabunch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Huntsabunch »

I couldn't even tell you how much fairing compound I've used. I know I bought the 2 quart kit of Total Fair, the three pint kit of Quick Fair, a bag of the purple stuff form BB2, and a little bit of West system 410. All of which ended up on the boat. I know my garbage man hates me because every time he dumps the can he gets covered by a cloud of sanding dust. I'm sure we would all be more efficient the second time around but at this point it's a learning process (for us first timers) and I would rather brag about the final results than how little fairing compound I used. Although being able to brag about both would be the real deal. From here it looks like you are doing a great job. Stick with it. Prime time is right around the corner.
Great job with you postings too. Lots of info, lots of pics. And I notice you always clean everything up before taking a pic, making me look like the slob I am. :lol:

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Huntsabunch wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:51 am I couldn't even tell you how much fairing compound I've used. I know I bought the 2 quart kit of Total Fair, the three pint kit of Quick Fair, a bag of the purple stuff form BB2, and a little bit of West system 410. All of which ended up on the boat. I know my garbage man hates me because every time he dumps the can he gets covered by a cloud of sanding dust. I'm sure we would all be more efficient the second time around but at this point it's a learning process (for us first timers) and I would rather brag about the final results than how little fairing compound I used. Although being able to brag about both would be the real deal. From here it looks like you are doing a great job. Stick with it. Prime time is right around the corner.
Great job with you postings too. Lots of info, lots of pics. And I notice you always clean everything up before taking a pic, making me look like the slob I am. :lol:
Thank You, But I promise I don't clean up every time. :lol: I do run a shop vac with a dry wall bag in it as I sand though. It helps, I create a crap ton of dust!

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

I used to let it pile up on the shop floor....until the wife got mad after I tracked it into the house.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

The dust is a real problem. After vacuuming the big piles I open the garage door and blow out as much as I can with a leaf blower. But there is a fine layer of dust pretty much over everything in the garage due to the two kayaks, the canoe and now the FS 19.

Huntsabunch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Huntsabunch »

I have a fine layer of dust that covers the fine layer of dust from the previous project, which covers .... well, you get the picture. My little workshop area is another story. The "dust" from a Bridgeport creates a whole different set of challenges. Especially when mixed with coolant or cutting fluid. Let it be known throughout the land that I am the King of the mess makers! :D

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Huntsabunch wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:56 am The "dust" from a Bridgeport creates a whole different set of challenges. Especially when mixed with coolant or cutting fluid. Let it be known throughout the land that I am the King of the mess makers! :D
Very true! I'm concerned when it's time to prime/paint about the residual oil in the air of my machine shop. I didn't want to build a spray booth just to roll paint but I may have to. :roll: