Game Warden inspection in Texas...

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
texasmechanic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Game Warden inspection in Texas...

Post by texasmechanic »

What point does my PH18 need to be to before having a game warden inspect it for seaworthiness and issuance of VIN? I'm asking because I would like to Title & register it prior to installing the outboard, electronics, etc. The reason behind this is; not only do I have to pay sales tax on everything to build the boat, the state of Texas wants to see receipts for all materials used to construct the boat, so that they can then charge me an additional 6.25% sales tax to title & register the boat. Texas sucks when it comes to stuff like this. I'd rather pay taxes on a few grand versus 15-20k. Anyone that is in Texas and has already been through it?

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Game Warden inspection in Texas...

Post by fishgitr »

How can they charge you taxes on something you already payed taxes on....?

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

texasmechanic wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:07 pm What point does my PH18 need to be to before having a game warden inspect it for seaworthiness and issuance of VIN?

I don't know the answer to this but you could search the GW's in your county and ask them that. In my county their cell phones are listed online.

The reason behind this is; not only do I have to pay sales tax on everything to build the boat, the state of Texas wants to see receipts for all materials used to construct the boat, so that they can then charge me an additional 6.25% sales tax to title & register the boat. Texas sucks when it comes to stuff like this. I'd rather pay taxes on a few grand versus 15-20k. Anyone that is in Texas and has already been through it
I did my GW inspection and TX registration a few days ago. For any materials you have bought in TX, or paid TX sales tax, you will not be charged an additional 6.25% tax. For materials not taxed in TX you will be charged the 6.25%. I doubt the GW will make an accounting of what you have, but they might. As you figured, I'd advise getting it inspected at the earliest point possible so you can in good faith only show receipts for the materials used to that point.

texasmechanic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by texasmechanic »

willg wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:32 pm
texasmechanic wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:07 pm What point does my PH18 need to be to before having a game warden inspect it for seaworthiness and issuance of VIN?

I don't know the answer to this but you could search the GW's in your county and ask them that. In my county their cell phones are listed online.

The reason behind this is; not only do I have to pay sales tax on everything to build the boat, the state of Texas wants to see receipts for all materials used to construct the boat, so that they can then charge me an additional 6.25% sales tax to title & register the boat. Texas sucks when it comes to stuff like this. I'd rather pay taxes on a few grand versus 15-20k. Anyone that is in Texas and has already been through it
I did my GW inspection and TX registration a few days ago. For any materials you have bought in TX, or paid TX sales tax, you will not be charged an additional 6.25% tax. For materials not taxed in TX you will be charged the 6.25%. I doubt the GW will make an accounting of what you have, but they might. As you figured, I'd advise getting it inspected at the earliest point possible so you can in good faith only show receipts for the materials used to that point.

When you titled the boat what did you have to pay taxes on? Also, is yours completely finished or what stage did you have them come out in?

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Mine is nearly complete and ready to hang the engine. I paid tax for all the fiberglass, epoxy and paint that came from Florida (Bateau), and various other things I got from different places on the web: Lenco trim tabs, aluminum gas tank from speedy tanks, some hard-wired electrical components. The ply and other things from TX were not taxed.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I just finished this process with the SK14. Hull was finished, no motor or wiring. You go to the nearest TDPW office (I went to Boerne), pay something like $35, cash or check, no credit card). They give you two forms to take home. In a day or three a game warden officer calls you and sets up an appointment. My guy came out to the house. He never looked at receipts, just the boat. He attaches a number, assigns you another one. You fill out the two forms (I had to call in for a little explanation), mail 'em in with a little more money and a week or so later get you decal. You purchase a 3" boat lettering kit online, BassPro, or whatever and install.

The warden is there to make sure you didn't steal the boat and try to get new numbers. A build not yet finished is obvious so my guy didn't need to check on receipts.

Dougster

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

I second Dougsters comments. The only reason for the game warden to visit is to check on whether the boat has been stolen. The game warden does not check equipment or do a safety check. That will be done if you are stopped on the water.

As for the sales tax. They only charge for things you did not buy in Texas. Keep track of what you ordered out of state and how much you bought locally. The game warden may be slow to respond. Other than the schedule the whole thing was basically stress free.

texasmechanic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by texasmechanic »

Awesome responses, thank you very much guys!!!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Please post your information on registering your boat in the above section: Questions before purchasing the plans and announcements: and then the post - How to register your newly built boat We are trying to set up a data base that can be included in the plans or that builders can be directed to for as many states and countries as possible.

Thanks in advance!
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 »

Not as easy in Central Texas. I have to take boat to the TPWD regional location. Temple for me unless I want to pull that thing through Austin traffic. Game Wardens don't do house calls in my part. They only inspect on certain dates. The last scheduled date was yesterday. i called about 3 weeks ago and they said to call back the week of to schedule, so I did. Oops, they forgot it was Good Friday. They have not rescheduled a date yet. I think I will be running w/o tags for awhile.