Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, send us some photos when you finish today!! Have a nice Easter!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jeff wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:59 am Jaysen, send us some photos when you finish today!! Have a nice Easter!! Jeff
You asked for it.

While the 11" worked, once things cured overnight I decided "God gave us motors for a reason" and cheated with an RO. Remember, I KNOW I'm going to ruin the finish the second I splash her. Also, ROW BOAT. A perfect bottom isn't really needed to meet expectations. Lastly SLOW sail boat. I'm not looking to make 2kn with her under sail. I just don't want to have to row (or pay taxes on a motor or motorized boat) all the time. I don't need or want a perfect bottom.

Here is the bottom immediately after a 50gr RO sanding and wash down. The gloss from the water shows the ripples nicely.

I'm going to call this done with the exception of a few particularly egregious spots. I will go over it with 80gr on the 11" before I prime it.

I've also decided to not stress over the rub rail bottom edge. I'll put a little effort into smoothing and then just touch up and major voids on the innermost layer with silica epoxy. I'm committed to a work boat finish and nothing more.

Once I get some lunch and "CL approved beverages" in me I'll head back out to spread some fairing compound on the ugly transom mess and touch up the bottom spots. Then rub tail for the rest of the day.

Joyful Easter to you as well Jeff. And everyone else too.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I think you are stressing too much. that is not the worst bottom I have ever seen. :D Prime it, hit the worst spots with quick fair and move on.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I think you're going to do a bit better than 2 knots.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz, not stressing. Just stating the position I'm in. I did check out a few "work boats" here. Real commercial shrimp boats. I swear they are just a million layers of paint holding the rust together. Not a fair surface to be found on them. I have them beat!

Tony, I'm still plotting to get me a "fast blow boat". My 2kn is just what I need to make the fishing hole and back for a day trip (Paris island point or 4mi offshore artificial reef) LB will almost always have you 6kn tidal current pushing her along on those trips. So she only needs the breeze to move us across the current. And I'm sure Jacques designs can out perform that even if I'm the builder.

As to the "fast blow boat" I've got my eye on a sb18. There a partial hull that I've got my eye on but it will be a bit before i can take on that project. If I do grab the hull, it will be documented here.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I think I solved my rub rail problem with this little "hack" tool...

The idea is to allow me to spread silica epoxy mix that will fill any gap and maintain the rubrail face angles. Here's how it will be used.

I've sanded the rails for prep but want to finish the transom fairing before I work on filling the rails.

Anyone see where this is a terrible idea?
Last edited by Jaysen on Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Looks more like genius to me.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The silica should be ok in the spot, right? It's not a high impact zone. It will be painted. I could wrap with glass if recommended.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Microballoons are fine. Colloidal silica mainly is to prevent sags and runs, but in this situation that shouldn't be a problem. I did glass my gunwales but did not continue the wrap on the underside. I was trying to protect them from wear and tear. They will get banged by the oars, or in your case, occasionally by the boom perhaps. That said, the boat will last a very long time without glassing them. It's purely a matter of keeping things a little nicer. But a couple of dings in the gunwales...well, I'm pretty sure Nelson's HMS Victory had a few of those. 8)
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

No boom. Sprit rig. I'd expect more issues from fish poles and such. I think, in the interest of getting her in the water, I'll just put the glass off till ... refit?

I was thinking silica because I'll need it to maintain the corner shape. I thought the anti-sag property would be a plus for the places where I'm building up the outer edge. I've got plenty of both balloons and silica though.

Been thinking about my rudder problem. If I'm making it from straight glass pressed between two molds, how thick does it need to be? It would seem to me that it could be fairly thin given Lil Bit's small size.