Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by fishgitr »

I would fill it with biaxial as much as you can then fair it. I noticed on my build that I filled some low spots about 3/16 low with quikfair on my deck and I realized today that I have some spider cracking going on.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

If you fill the low with biax/epoxy at least you get something out of it. ie a tougher bottom and that is never a bad thing :D

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Eric1 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:18 pm Jacques,

This is a picture of the gap at the transom from all the over lapped glass. This is at the centerline of keel, it's about 3/16 inch.
Should I fill this with biaxial cloth and fair it with Quick Fair?

Huntsabunch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Huntsabunch »

If the gap along the keel is a result of extra layers of glass at the transom, won't you have the same situation all the way to the chine? If so, won't you have to fill most of the bottom on both sides of the keel to make it perfect? I can't see where 3/16" over a 20' distance would have a dramatic effect on performance but, then again, we already know that I'm lost in the woods when it comes to boat building. :?
If I was going to fill a large area by that amount I think I would fill and level it most of the way with fairing compound then cover it with a light weight woven cloth. That should protect from checking and the fine weave is easier to fair out. Full disclosure: this advice is more "experiment" than "experience". :)

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Huntsabunch wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:12 am If the gap along the keel is a result of extra layers of glass at the transom, won't you have the same situation all the way to the chine? If so, won't you have to fill most of the bottom on both sides of the keel to make it perfect? I can't see where 3/16" over a 20' distance would have a dramatic effect on performance but, then again, we already know that I'm lost in the woods when it comes to boat building. :?
If I was going to fill a large area by that amount I think I would fill and level it most of the way with fairing compound then cover it with a light weight woven cloth. That should protect from checking and the fine weave is easier to fair out. Full disclosure: this advice is more "experiment" than "experience". :)
Yes It has a good bit of layers at chine as well. Picture the transom to bottom intersection. This has the pronounced build up of fiberglass down 4-6" from that edge going down the transom. My concern is that when I mount the outboard bracket it will cause issues. I am thinking I could use a piece of 1/4" thick rubber sheet as a gasket and around each bolt hole cut holes for a 2-2 1/2" aluminum washer to keep the bracket parrelel to the plan of the transom. I'll wait for Jacques to advise here. No hurries, I have plenty to do. :)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That happens often there. 3/16 is not too bad but you can fill it.
Use whatever leftover glass you have to get closer and finish with Quickfair

If you leave it as is, you will probably never feel the difference. That little hook will make you loose half a knot, maybe.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

jacquesmm wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:44 am That happens often there. 3/16 is not too bad but you can fill it.
Use whatever leftover glass you have to get closer and finish with Quickfair

If you leave it as is, you will probably never feel the difference. That little hook will make you loose half a knot, maybe.
Half a knot does not deem that much work. I leave it as is.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

I got a little bit done yesterday afternoon and this morning. I pulled fillets on the strakes and finish the spray rail. Other than that just spot filled some small holes. I finished the stainless plate job yesterday and my wrist is sore from tightening the vise on the machine, so no sanding today. :| I woke up at 0330 this morning with it throbbing, took a couple of advil and ran the hot water out in the shower on it. Went and made coffee, took a couple of swigs and fell asleep in my computer chair. My daughters woke me up getting ready for school.
Any way the goal is to have the first half of the boat ready for primer by Saturday.

Spray rails:

Back side

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Very well done Eric!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Eric your work is always neat and clean. Mine never looks that good, I rely heavily on the sander the clean up my mess. :roll: