SOBX Solo Flats Skiff SK14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SOBX Solo Flats Skiff SK14

Post by BrianC »

Does anyone have any neat tricks for gluing the sole cleats to the hull? The ones on the stringers are easily clamped in place, but I'm scratching my head over how to clamp the ones against the hull. Besides the clamping issue, I assume that I'll need to either shape them or cut lots of notches to get them to follow the curve of the hull.

- Brian
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

BrianC wrote:Does anyone have any neat tricks for gluing the sole cleats to the hull? The ones on the stringers are easily clamped in place, but I'm scratching my head over how to clamp the ones against the hull. Besides the clamping issue, I assume that I'll need to either shape them or cut lots of notches to get them to follow the curve of the hull.

- Brian
There are a number of methods.
Typically we just either use smaller sections and glue them up individually, or a single longer section of a thinner material, you can also build up in layers in this way.

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug »

Brian, I posted an answer earlier, but for some reason some of my posts never show up, and I'm always sure to be logged in. Anyone else ever have this problem? I use clear fur which is very light and flexible and rip into long lengths with the top at 3/4", tapering down at the bottom by ripping at the hull angle so it fits nicely against the hull and the top planes off with the floor frames. I use a multi tool to cut notches in the floor frames and slide the long cleats down into the notches which presses it against the hull. No kerfs necessary, only 2 cleats for the sole and 2 for the deck support, if you have long enough material, otherwise you do it sections. Looks good, locks everything together, and no clamping or bracing. Mike

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

I used hot glue/glue gun then put a fillet around them. If the hull is curved use short pieces.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Lots of great ideas - that what I like about this forum.

I do like Mike's way, what could be easier:
I use a multi tool to cut notches in the floor frames and slide the long cleats down into the notches which presses it against the hull. No kerfs necessary, only 2 cleats for the sole and 2 for the deck support.
I have a few small sections of cleat and I'll likely use Noles309's hot melt approach on those.

I also ran across the one on Mikem59's FS18 Build where he uses pieces of wood clamped near the shear line to hold the cleats in place while glueing -
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Another few weeks and I'll be restarting my SK14 build that was put on hold in early December. I haven't decided how to finish the foredeck. I'm building the version with the large foredeck that starts at frame 'B'. Has who has gotten theirs on the water tried standing on the foredeck? Does is stay above water? The engine is about 55 lbs. (Tohatsu 6hp 4-stroke) and I'll be using a 3 gallon tank (another 25 lbs. or so when full).

- Brian

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Lots of progress in the last few weeks: epoxy + graphite applied to the bottom; most of the cleats glued in - I used Mikem59's clamping trick to clamp the ones that are against the hull and seaslug's slot cutting technique for the long ones running fore & aft (much better than dealing with all the little segments!):

Next up, foam. I'll be using the trick of heating the jugs to 85-95°F by immersing in a hot water filled cooler - from what I've read here that helps insure that the foam fully expands - I've seen lots of build threads where the foam doesn't grow to the expected volume leaving the builder to either buy more or live with a partial fill.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Looks good BrianC!! Also, a really beautiful spot to build a boat!! Jeff

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Jeff wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:59 pm...a really beautiful spot to build a boat!! Jeff
Yes, it is. The water is the ICW, that's Hammocks Beach State Park in the background and Bogue Inlet beyond that. It does get quite windy at times (it was gusting to 35MPH Monday evening) so I often have to do all the epoxy weighing and mixing of things like wood flower in the shed. I may need to put up some temporary walls for the next build - likely a Panga 22 starting this fall.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Brian, about heating the foam. You can get it too hot if you are not careful. I let the hockey game distract me and got my water way too hot. When I poured the clear part, system3, into my measuring cup it foamed some on me. I went ahead and mixed the two parts together. It started to foam before I could get it mixed well and it did not expand as it should have. After pouring 10 gallons in the past few weeks I think 85-95f is where you want to be. And be careful opening the jugs after heating as they will be under pressure.