Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

You should have said "make another mess"
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

If you have what before my time was referred to as "a saw", nowadays called a crosscut or rip handsaw or "the original cordless saw", they also work well to trim the foam tops. That's what CL used on his builds. Don't forget that the foam continues slightly to expand for a period after the big activity.
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

pee wee wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:57 am If you have what before my time was referred to as "a saw", nowadays called a crosscut or rip handsaw or "the original cordless saw", they also work well to trim the foam tops. That's what CL used on his builds. Don't forget that the foam continues slightly to expand for a period after the big activity.
Well now... that's a winner! I actually prefer hand tools* and have a set of real (aka 100yr old) saws that I can use for this (the blades are will coated and I will be able to clean them of any residue). I wasn't planning to trim until just before seat goes on which means after painting. Maybe second week of May.

Thanks for the tip!

* Except for sanding. Sanding sucks. I hate sanding only slightly less than the SOB tool. Which means I really really hate sanding.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

You do know that there is more than one Mr Murphy :wink: I have one that set up permanent residence with me and i shipped
his brother up to Fuzz .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

So you're the one to blame for that....

topwater

Post by topwater »

Agony loves company :!:
Novi 23 finally launched !

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I may have defamed your parentage just now.

Today will be a "no op" day. The USMC is hosting the biannual community air show at the air station. I love seeing the real men and women of the MC, Army, AirForce and Navy interacting with the public. They let protesters in and everything. Just something about seeing a drill instructor be a human jungle gym with a huge smile on his face to remind you that these are sons, daughters, husbands, wives, fathers, and mothers. Last time
the organized "anti military" protestors (who were completely unhindered by mil or Civ attendees) realized they lost after about three minutes.

Anyway, Mrs and I are heading there and then going to look at the progress on Madge. I may get some foam and clean up done later this evening. Tomorrow will start hull interior in earnest.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

There a big nasty mess where the aft seat should be. Waiting a few days to trim it back.

Any suggestions for smoothing the inside of a v12? Using fairing compound seem right but it's dang near impossible to get it flat. Lots of curves and all of them con cave leaving lots of thickness. Smaller knife maybe?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Kiwi Grip can be a great fairing compound :lol:

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: