Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

And I have defamed more lineages.

Tony, what did you do? Narrow knife and sand?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Not sure what you mean by "narrow knife."
I used all the types of spreaders I could think of depending on the curvature. Often a finger worked as well as anything in spreading the fairing goop. But when I read that other builders would just use this or that implement, and then simply brush on epoxy and voila! No sanding necessary, I could scream. That didn't come close for me.
For sanding I did the best I could with the pointy end of the triangular multi-tool sanding attachment. Sometimes, but not often, that was pretty close. For the rest, I sometimes used sandpaper wrapped around a dowel. The best advice came from ks8, I think (but please forgive me if I've mis-attributed this), and that was to use the old sandpaper from the multi-tool and my random orbital. The backing on these pieces is thick and cloth-like and allows you to obtain a fairly smooth curve around your finger.
The most frustrating areas were the concave corners where three panels meet. I tried everything on those but in the end the best I could do was the ks8 suggestion above with my finger. I went through several courses of filling and sanding on every single joint and corner. It took forever but I just couldn't tolerate the unfinished appearance that resulted if I left them as they were.
The most difficult part was the acute angle forward of the forward frame. You can't get in there with any electric sander that I was willing to invest in. (Someone suggested a Dremel tool. In my hands, this did more harm than good.) What I ended up doing was wrapping a length of pvc in packing tape to create a mold; then I put a bunch of goop in there and smashed the pvc into it. This created a very clean curve; but where the goop pooched out from the curve and into the adjoining sides, these areas had to be hand sanded.
Here are some photos from that process:
In this last photo the process is finished and because of the lighting and the sanding marks in the primer it looks rough; but I guarantee it as smooth as the proverbial baby's butt:

Another tricky area was where the middle seat met the hull. On the plans this is a fair curve although a lot of builders just chop it off. Again, just a lot of reps of goop/hand sanding/goop/hand sanding. It looks rougher than it is, and has yet to be sanded with, say, 150 or 220. The seats are taped to the sides so the weave had to be filled and faired.

Final result:
Tony

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

I cannot stop looking at the final result knowing I still have to do all the corners of my cabin next to the frames at the deck and sides and I agree with a finger or a 4 " felt roller with sandpaper around it will do the work.
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Lil Bit will be the slovenly, overweight sister to Tony's svelte v10.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Yes, I think the larger projects like yours may have undone me. Tip of the hat to the majority of builders who are undertaking bigger boats than mine. :D
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I think there may be another difference. I'm not sure how to say this nicely, but you may be a bit ... nuts. I don't see too many folks looking for the level of finish you achieved on your v10 on their first, second or third build. Maybe it's due to your history with sailboat bright work. Or maybe you just like driving yourself crazy.

That said, you've set the bar pretty high for first time builders who want "expert" finish.

I can't recall if I read it here or on a car forum, but i think the level of finish I'm looking for is "20ft". You have to be inside 20ft to see that she's a polished turd. So far so good. But as Tony pointed out, I'm about to get to the hard stuff.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

Polished turd .... is that an industry term :lol:
Novi 23 finally launched !

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

you may be a bit ... nuts
Thanks Jaysen, I don't get credit for that often enough.

I don't know why I did go to this extent, it isn't my normal way of doing things. I'm always focused on functionality. But something about this build made me conscious of the details, and I also was inspired by the awesome accomplishments of folks like Cracker Larry and several others. If you think I'm nuts, spending a bit more time on the forum will introduce you to some real knuckleheads, and I mean that in the most respectful way. People who make and turn their own masts using genius methods, for example. Someone who cast his own bronze finials for the rub rail using home-built technology. (I confess I considered that myself and took an intro to casting at a local community college. I tried it in epoxy first, though, and decided I just wouldn't be able to get a good result.) So boat builder/nut case. Not a whole lot of daylight between those two categories!

That doesn't mean it's for everyone. You do whatever makes you feel good and no sense trying to copy someone else's boat any more than you'd copy their life.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 9:05 am If you think I'm nuts, spending a bit more time on the forum will introduce you to some real knuckleheads, and I mean that in the most respectful way.
I know it. But most of those guys are well into the nuttiness in BBV land. You just seemed to jump right in there.

I do have some crazy going on. Most of it still pending. Here are the things I'm building myself which make me wonder "why don't I just buy it?"
* I will be building my own mast. Less likely to be a full "turn" as much as a shaping with hand tools.
* Ditto on sprit
* All fiberglass rudder blade is being planned
* 3 compartment cooler in front of mid seat for multi-day trips
* working out the kinks on my "suspended bed" for those trips
* started working on my high efficiency gimbaled stove to hang off transom (again with the trips)
* almost have a functional live well design for bait but then I have to figure out how to build it
* knock down transport cart that stows in boat and provides structure for much of the above

Lil Bit will get wet LONG before all that is completed. Once the hull is done enough for oars and she's legal, she's going hunting for dinner. I'll get crab soup and redfish over rice, and the boss is waiting for stuffed flounder. Just hope my spots aren't already fished out by the time I get there.

As too what happens AFTER Lil Bit is all done and The Boss has her regular supply of flounder... let's just say I've got my plans. Still all sail and no motor, but a lot more boat.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Those are all very cool projects which will be totally a bit of fun.
If I had a list that long, laboring over fussy details would have meant still not being done with the boat!
Tony