Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

I like the "problem" side of the projects. "How do I cook my fish when I don't have any land and I'm on a 12' dinghy and my fuel is the dry sticks I brought with me?" "How do I sleep with adequate ventilation, bug protection, and stability while maintaining loft that will prevent need for mattress material?" "Who in their right mind builds a boat of ANY kind without a way to get it to the water?" I've added a requirement for long term sustainability to all my solutions as well. No specialized products that lock me into vendor relationships, nothing I can't build or replace with off the shelf stuff, nothing that requires specific materials. More than once I've found myself sitting with the sander on (luckily not on the hull) staring at a space and trying to imagine how I would fit a bait well or cooler in it.

And before anyone worries about weight... By the time the big trips start, I will have LOST as much weight as I'm adding in "stuff". Full load out should be well under 225. Loosing 60lbs leaves room for LOTS of gear.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I need to take my own advice. I think I said it to Karl: "if no one can see it, why are you worried about it?"

I just spent about 2hr swearing at a buck of stuff only to realize that NONE of it will be visible once the mid seat is on. I'm not Tony...

More compound will be applied tomorrow.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good stuff Jaysen!!! Jeff

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I stand falsely accused!!
I didn't finish the insides of the lockers more than to make sure there were no sharp pieces of glass that could cut you. And I didn't fair the underside of the middle seat. I may be nuts but I'm not crazy.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

In my case it's the forward side of the frame. Remember that I've got the dagger trunk which necessitates the long nosed middle seat. Not a snowballs chance in hell anyone will see the bottom of that frame. Especially considering that no one will be forward of the frame unless they are launching the boat.

I actually need to deal with the bow all the way from beasthook to mast step. Not looking forward to that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Your on the right track Jaysen. Seeking perfection is the enemy of the good. :wink:
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

No pictures but bottom of inside is "done enough". Have sides and frames to smooth.

That said I have a bit of finish sanding in the corners and from mast step forward. Should go "quick" (does it ever go quick?)

Pictures soonish but not today.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Holding out on us.................ok, I see the way it is going to be :P

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Just like you and fishing. 9' seas should be nothing for you. :P

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 8:27 pm Just like you and fishing. 9' seas should be nothing for you. :P
35 knot wind, 9 foot seas, wave period 7 seconds, water temperature 42f fun factor ZERO. Over 60 and not doing it for a living any more so if it ain't gona be fun I am not going :lol: