Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

You send pics! Not an in person inspection. No safety check. Not verification of original build. Nothing. But they do require final colors for use on the reg and title (that's what they told me). So if I send in a primer white vessel and get stopped in a yellow vessel with the white vessel's numbers... bye bye boat.

When I call back I'm going to ask about a temp reg so I can get on the water. I doubt I'll get it but it's worth asking about.

For the record, the hull is the hard part. Trailer and motor are simple.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Damn..................so I guess they take the boat and put you in jail if you are dumb enough to paint the boat a different color at some point down the road :doh: I am just glad we have not reached that level of insanity here yet. But then we do not have a big problem with stolen boats here, yet. Hard to get away with it when there is only a couple of roads. More than once a boat has been stolen only to be seen going down the road and reported to the cops.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Not sure on the repaint. I believe that requires a change form or early renewal. It's also entirely possible I've been lied too by the government employee. All I know is that I've seen enough boats get impounded for minor offenses that I'm not willing to risk it. I may be will to float her for trim test but I don't think it would be wise to take her more than a dozen yards from the launch.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

I am really lucky my AD14 sailboat is LOA 4.42 and anything under 4.50 is considered flotsam here in Austria and need not be registered as a boat. With my electric outboard I can also use it on most lakes because petrol outboard motors are not allowed and on some lakes only in Spring or Autumn.
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

gonandkarl wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 8:17 am I am really lucky my AD14 sailboat is LOA 4.42 and anything under 4.50 is considered flotsam here in Austria and need not be registered as a boat. With my electric outboard I can also use it on most lakes because petrol outboard motors are not allowed and on some lakes only in Spring or Autumn.
It used to be the same here (prior to 1994) IF the vessel was under 14' with no motor. Now EVERY vessel is supposed to be registered and titled. Even kayaks. And once you have title and registration the state will tax you on the hull (separate from motor taxes). It is really nothing more than a way to fund the state but, when compared to my previous place of residence, the taxes are so low here I just don't mind. The one thing that really irritates me though is the bureaucracy to stay legal. If it wasn't for our being located at one of the major enforcement areas, I'd just risk it and splash without title and registration.

But I like my Lil Bit of a boat. So I'll be patient and keep her legal.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

sigh.... No one locally "stocks" S3 primer. I didn't want to buy local, but I didn't want to wait on shipping.

So ... do I really need more then 2 coats primer? I'm sure I have enough EMC (1qt each color) to do 4 coats on all surfaces (1qt primer gets 2 coats...). What's the down side to skimping on the primer other than possibly needing more topcoat to achieve uniform coloration?

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

If you don't sand it all away like someone I know personally, two coats should do fine.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I've already padlocked the sanders, put them in a weighted box, and carried them to a neighbor's dock.

I have found a few areas that I "should" address. I really don't want to. I'll only make things worse, but I can hear them calling our to every toe and knee say "let me irritate you... please!!!" Which means I'm likely to hit just those places before I go make more mess on the hull with primer tonight.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

You can spot prime the areas you sand.
Tony

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I totally understand where you are at right now but I am afraid if you do not take the little, very little, time to address those small spots you will come to regret it. The way I know this is because that is what I did on my dory and it bugs me. :oops: