Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Fuzz »

Hope to see pictures of her in primer soon. But I am pretty sure you are even more ready :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Next pics will be of topcoat! Topcoat I tell you!

Need to co buy supplies though. Booo. Out of rollers and trays.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Here are my thoughts on the rudder. I'm leaning toward the one on the right.

There is a pin at the top to provide pivot to the blade and to anchor the tiller. The cassette is open in the back to allow the blade to swing out on impact. The lower portion of the blade is held in place either by shock chord or tiller compression. The leading edge of the blade is "notched" to allow a pin in tiller to lock the blade vertically. Lower edges of notch is ramped to allow easy raising. Lowering blade requires slight lift of tiller to free pin from notch allowing blade to drop.

The right version keeps the blade rotation closer to the original rudder keeping the primary force focused on the turn (yaw). The left version will create some vertical motion which will create a slight downward pressure at the transom.

Cassette sides will be 3/8" glassed. Spacer will be 1/2" of pine epoxied (glassed as part of larger cassette). Blade will be 3/8" glass created in a mold ala Peter C flyer fin. Blade will be 11" wide and 39" long.

Other than being ridiculously over complicated, what am I missing?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

topwater

Post by topwater »

I see Mr Murphy has been whispering in your ear again . You are the only one i have seen make a simple cassette rudder more
complicated than they need to be . remember the kiss principle :wink:
Novi 23 finally launched !

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

topwater wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 9:03 am I see Mr Murphy has been whispering in your ear again . You are the only one i have seen make a simple cassette rudder more
complicated than they need to be . remember the kiss principle :wink:
Yeah. I was thinking about that this morning. Maybe I just just build a wood core with FG copy of the original... I can use multiple pieces to build of the core and FG to provide strength. Then just add additional wood where the pintles need added thickness. Get her in the water then figure out what I need once I've got some practical experience in where I run into issues.

But that's not so much fun...

topwater

Post by topwater »

By all means build the cassette rudder but keep it simple . Make the rudder long enough to attach the tiller right to the top
of the rudder and just use a bungee to hold the rudder in the cassette , no pivot rod in cassette or rudder . Vary the amount
of rappes of bungee cord to adjust the amount of tension on the rudder. If you hit bottom it will pivot back and if you want
to run shallow just lift up on the rudder to adjust for depth .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Top water,

With tiller attached to blade, doesn't they raise the height of the tiller as things are lifted in shallow water? That's why I was attaching to cassette...

I'm still considering using the crooked rudder to get her I. The water fast. That lets me get some experience with how real the need for a lifting rudder is. I've got the standard glued, just warped a bit. All I'll need to do to have Lil Bit sail ready is shape the rudder and make mast/sprit. Then I can give her some runs into the shallows and figure out the need.

I know it sounds wishy washy but maybe I'm over thinking this a bit.

Interior and exterior masked. Painting shall commence as soon as I triple read the mix ratios and make measuring cups. Yellow and white if in the very near future!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I. Love. EMC LPU!!

That stuff goes on nicely. Get the runs out and it self levels. No tipping and it looks amazing. If I could afford it I would use it for every surface in my house. Worth. Every. Penny.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Watching paint dry. Second coat white done. Yellow still a little green. So tempted to just keep painting.

Based on the coverage of white, I may only need two coats. Will have to pull tape and fix trim. So close.

Fork me. I just noticed I never put the transom knees on.

Fuzz, aren't you supposed to be keeping Murphy up there with you?

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Lil Bit is looking NICE!