Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, really nice work!!! Great choice of colors. Not sure I would continue to refer to Lil Bit as a work boat but that is strictly up to you!! How did you like working with the EMC paints?? Jeff

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Nice. I too love the colors.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Congratulations Jaysen. She's a beauty. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jeff wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 6:38 am Jaysen, really nice work!!! Great choice of colors. Not sure I would continue to refer to Lil Bit as a work boat but that is strictly up to you!! How did you like working with the EMC paints?? Jeff
Jeff, She's a work boat. The nice thing about the colors is that you can't see all the runs of yellow into white and drips of white on the yellow. They also lower the contrast so all the imperfections (and bad cut lines) aren't super noticeable. I was shooting for a 10' but I do think she'd pass a 5' walk by test. Once your up close and person the first thing that you ask is "did that moron actually sand this thing? Ever?" :$

The EMC is amazing. I want to paint my house with it. The only thing I dislike was the reducer. It doesn't seem to have a "middle" I started with the recommended 2:1:1 and I was begging for it to thicken back up to only be as thin as water. at 2:1:0.5 it was almost useable, but not really. At 2:1:0 the paint was a bit thick for my cheap brushes. I got to the point where I kept some reducer in cup and dipped my brush in it and to a fast swap at what I just painted. Kind of like going over a fillet with straight epoxy. When I type up my "what I'd do differently" list I'll comment on that in more detail.

Last coats of white on. I may need to spot touch some of the frames. The mid seat frame is a *itch. It will remain ugly until the boat is completed repainted. The trim is "done" but I'm not thrilled with how it turned out. Lesson for next time. I have a ton of runs from yesterday's brush coats (see above) but ... it is what it is. You can only see them if you are on top of her looking for the so I'm happy.

Rest of today is watching paint dry and cleaning up. Once the wet coat sets a bit I need to turn over the sand and bury all the drips. Tons of debris to get rid of as well. I'm a messy painter.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, thanks for the EMC feedback. I will give them a call and address your concern with the reducer. If I get any feedback I will certainly pass on!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Thanks Jeff. I'm pretty sure they will say "idiots shouldn't be allowed to paint". I'd agree.

Here are the "final" pics with the frames painted.

And here's my view from the captain's chair.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, she looks really good with that nice EMC paint job!! I will get back to you on the image issue first thing tomorrow when Jamie gets in to the shop!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

No big deal on the image thing. I've seen the error a few times but managed to ... work around it (hazard of an it background). Working on the phone so not able to correct easily.

topwater

Post by topwater »

Love the colors , boat looks real nice :!: By all means hook the tiller to the cassette , i was thinking of a handle on top of the rudder
but i had a brain fart and wrote tiller :? Just another cloof moment , As the Cracker would say " build on ! "
Novi 23 finally launched !

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well... I have two things I think I need to fix asap.
1. Knees-- forgot to put them in
2. Oarlock-- may need to add backing plate.

On the knees, I'm guessing I'll need to remove paint. Sand until I cry. Glue in knees. Sand. Repaint. Miss anything?

Oarlock sockets are edge mounted two screws on top, 2 on side. I can go inside the hull or on outside of rubrail. I was thinking outside of rubrail as that would keep the inside free from snag points. The plans have a backing plate in the inside. If I'm going outside I don't think a plate has any use.
A. Which location is preferred?
B. What is the reason for preference?
C. With and edge mounted socket is the backing plate still needed?