Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Buz »

Are you sure it needs knees?

Plans for my FB-11 say they're only needed with an outboard.

Lil Bit looks great and is highly motivational!
You only need patience if you'd rather be doing something else.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
FB-11 Jean Bille in 2017, rebuilt '23

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

It will rust for sure.
I don't launch the boat in the water with it like a boat trailer. I take it off the cart next to the water, or alternatively, wheel it down the float at a ramp and then take it off the trailer and shove it in the water. This would definitely be two-person job with the V12; it's a handful with the V10. But the only hard part is getting it on and off the cart. Rolling it is easy.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Buz wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 1:57 pm Are you sure it needs knees?

Plans for my FB-11 say they're only needed with an outboard.
Buz, the build doc says "shape is unimportant but they are needed". There is no mention of the knees in the sail version, but the build notes for the sail version are only adding details. Given the extra glass all over I'm just not sure. They can clearly be added anytime so maybe I can wait for JM to get back from vacation.
terrulian wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 2:02 pm I don't launch the boat in the water with it like a boat trailer. I take it off the cart next to the water, or alternatively, wheel it down the float at a ramp and then take it off the trailer and shove it in the water. This would definitely be two-person job with the V12; it's a handful with the V10.
Tony, I need to single launch and do it on concrete. If I don't put the dolly in the water I'll have to carry/push the v12 about 30-45 feet over concrete. The other option is to literally throw her off a wall and hope wave action doesn't bring her right back into it. If I go for an alternate launch point I've got a 3/4mi walk to a sand beach. Then I'm in the same boat with having to get the hull about 50yds over rock piles (dune replacements) with no path wide enough for the hull. I'd kind of landed on the dolly idea after watching some kids launch a 16' laser at the local marina. They just walked down the street pulling the boat behind them, walked into the water and floated away (one of them did walk the dolly into a grassy area). It seemed like the right answer for Lil Bit.

My plan is PVC "frame", BMX style "mag" wheels with sealed bearings (replace axles with SS threaded rod) and using threaded PVC couplers at each reduction on the PVC. Two PVC "bunks" will support the hull and provide wheel attachment. A bent cross member will run between bunks at axle point. Axle point will be at 7.5' from bow. Bunks will join via bent cross member at 3.5 feet. A 4' long section of PVC will be split and bent to allow keel to settle into cradle with bow eye slot. A simple pin will lock the eye in place ensuring the fore/aft positioning. Plan for moving is actually to tie an oar to the breast hook and use it like a trailer tongue.

I'll sketch something up before I start assembling it.

I'm not a draftsman, but that's the idea.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Sounds like you've got this sorted, which is good. I have a wide variety of launching challenges and they are obviously completely different. There are launch ramps around here but I don't drag my boat down them; instead I wheel the cart along the adjacent walkway to the float next to the ramp, and launch it there. I can also do this at the marina where I keep my Catalina 22, so I can row over to the Catalina and run a tow line. Then I can sail somewhere, anchor, and get in the dinghy to get to the places I can't go in the sailboat.
I also launch from sand, mud, and rocky beaches depending on where I'm headed.
I like your design; what are you using for wheels?
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

My plan is some 16" or 20" BMX plastic things. They are typically 2-2.5" wide. I've found them with sealed bearing so all I'd ever need to replace is the bearing unit as everything else is plastic. I want the 20" as that will give me enough clearance at the transom to avoid hitting the skeg while moving around. If I go with smaller 16" I'll have to move the "axle" further aft which will increase "tongue weight" making it harder to move the hull if I have it loaded. The nice thing about using PVC is I can just get a coupler and add more length to parts if I need too.

I never would have expected all my jeep hauling and off roading to be so usable for a boat :)

If I had a vehicle larger than Lil Bit, I could take her a few miles to the county ramp and do things like you are. Neither the MG Midget nor the Chevy Volt would make good boat haulers. Not that I haven't thought about it.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

A man of many thoughts.
I find many of these ruminations and inventions as pleasurable as anything else in boat stuff. I would lie awake many's the night visualizing installations on my 39-footer, which had to work comfortably at various angles of roll and pitch.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Parts run fail. Have the small parts for the dilly but no mast or long PVC. Did get screws for par locks and rudder.

And I need a bigger car. Something that will hold 8feet of 1x3

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Your two hands and your running shoes. Lets you kill two birds with one stone :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Very limited cargo capacity and range with that setup fuzz. Very limited.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Process check...

Mounting things to hull...

1. Measures 374937 times
2. Measure it again you moron (directed at Jaysen)
3. Drill normal pilot
4. Test install but do NOT go on water.
5. Over drill 2x thread size (ex if #8 pilot drill #12) using pilot as guide.
6. Fill hole with thickened epoxy.
7. Take nap
8. Drink rum.
9. Repeat 7.
10. Drill new pilot in hardened epoxy.
11. SLOWLY install making sure you don't strip screw head.
12. Curse at yourself for number of stripped screws.
13. Go to store and buy more screws.
14. Replace stripped screws.
15. Go. Kill. Fish.

Did I miss anything?