Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

gonandkarl wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 1:44 am I have the same cart as your old bust one and I managed to move my FS13 and the heavy 45 kg Micro Petrel around with it quite well without the alu parts bending. Maybe you got a Monday cart with too thin alu.
I'm guessing I'm over 56kg (125lb) on Lil Bit. The cars are rated at 48kg (105lb) so the failure is expected. Especially when you look at the rough terrain I was going over. I'm not disappointed in the cart. It's my fault it broke. Now I just need to make one that won't explode :)
cape man wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 6:31 am What if you ran a piece of 1/2" all thread through the pipe as an axel?
I think the problem is the actual wheels. I need to pull them off and verify, but without a real bearing/bushing I may just be pushing the limits of the design. My "guess" that it's the wheels is that post move they are sloppy on the axles but there is no slop in the axle itself. Has to be oval-ing of what passes for a busing. Options; new wheels, over drill and sleeve, lubrication. When I disassemble at lunch I'll asses the wheels and figure out what action I want to take.
Fuzz wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 1:49 am Jaysen Lil Bit has turned out really nice :!: :!: You should be well pleased with yourself.
Jeff wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 7:50 am Jaysen, Lil Bit looks great!! Really nice colors!! Jeff
I'm less pleased with me and more pleased that you all (the whole forum) stepped up to keep me out of the weeds on this. An example is the color selection... I doubt Jeff remembers, but he actually pushed the Oyster White over my first choice. "That one you are looking at is pretty bright, you sure you want that?" The selection of the v12... I didn't want that... was all JM, CL and the rest of you all chiming in. Same with the glassing of the bottom (which is already showing wear), methods to use and just about every technical step. 100% team effort.

Now, who can tell me how to make this mast and sprit using only a jig saw, router, and sand paper? ;)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
This link might help you:

[imgur2]http://www.woodenboat.com/whiskey_plank ... oden-masts[/imgur2]

or this one is even better:

[imgur2]http://www.boat-building.org/learn-skil ... den-spars/[/imgur2]

Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Thanks for all the updates.
My V10 weighs 125 but it is built a little heavier since I glassed the seats, gunwales, breasthook, knees, and bottom. I think you did some but not all of that. But if your boat weighs 125 you did well.
As to the cart: My biggest hassle launching the boat is getting it on and off the cart at the beach or marina. Let me know if you have a trick for that.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

gonandkarl wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 10:11 am Hi,
This link might help you:
I'd run into those before! Thanks for point them out again. Based on my checklist I think the wooden boat site heavily influenced my plan.
terrulian wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 10:18 am Thanks for all the updates.
My V10 weighs 125 but it is built a little heavier since I glassed the seats, gunwales, breasthook, knees, and bottom. I think you did some but not all of that. But if your boat weighs 125 you did well.
As to the cart: My biggest hassle launching the boat is getting it on and off the cart at the beach or marina. Let me know if you have a trick for that.
I'm trying to rig up some way to weigh her. Hard to do with no roof and no solid floor! My guess of 125 is based on supplies used so far that exceed the build spec. Several pounds of fillers, 2gal extra epoxy, 4yrd 12oz glass, 1.5qt EMC (that stuff is heavy!), foam, etc. With a base hull weight of 98lbs (study plans) I shouldn't be too far off.

To date I've just dropped the bow on the ground, lifted the stern till hull clear of cart, take three steps sideways to clear side of boat, lower stern. Granted I'm on sand 100% of the times right now so it's been working. My larger plan it to walk her right into the water still on the cart. Once she's floating I'll remove the straps and disassemble cart. I expect that to be ... not right at the shoreline :)

If you're thinking "he's nuts" you are probably right. At least everyone seems to agree with that thought.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

The first method is what I use but unfortunately there is a shortage of sand beaches where I launch. It is also very difficult when the space is narrow. I end up swiveling the boat where the bow touches down as you describe and this will eventually need repair. I have considered a strap of Kevlar about 3-4" wide from the skeg to that pivot point and may still do that. It will be ugly, however...but so am I and no one has killed me for it.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I'm convinced that the only way to avoid slide/pivot issues is to just walk the cart right into the water. Just like a boat on a trailer at a ramp. I figured I'd be in that situation which is why I was so "poo poo" on the metal cart.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Yes, you're absolutely right, that would work best. If you come up with a design I'd be very interested. The tongue is important because otherwise you're going to get pretty wet retrieving the cart.
There is also the issue of getting the boat from my van at a height of about 3 1/2 feet onto the cart.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Quick inspection revealed little. The wheels look fine and ARE sleeved with a metal bushing. I think what I've run into is just the wearing in of the parts as they rotated. I will be putting some grease on there just to reduce the friction a bit.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Boat building is not good therapy for me after a particularly bad day at work. I did things out of order which means I have a bunch of screws all the way through the mast. I may just wind up buying new wood and starting over.

Oh well.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Don't push it. You have all the hard work behind you :wink: