Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

In this particular case the wood was already soaked so I either forged ahead and hope it comes out or start a bonfire. Bonfire may still happen.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Did a spot check this AM... Slow hardener glue hard as a rock. Mast straight. A few gaps that I can drill and fill. More assessment later tonight when i pull screws..

This leaves me with questions about my epoxy mixing...
1. I used new bottle of resin. could that have been the problem?
2. I used wood flour instead of silica. could that have been the problem?
3. I used the old bottle of slow not the fast hardener. could that be the problem?
4. Since I was using slow, did I mix better?

I may mix up a batch of fast tonight just to see. I do need to over drill and fill the screw holes so it won't be wasted.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I can't help you other than to say that in 25 years or so of mixing epoxy for all kinds of different applications using many different brands and different speeds of hardeners, I have never had a job that I mixed and measured properly fail to harden. A bad batch was always the fault of yours truly. I cannot speculate beyond telling you what my experience is.
Tony

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I have seen resin leave stringers of soft material if it was not mixed properly. Other than that I agree if mixed and measured properly it goes off. I do not believe age makes a difference if the epoxy was stored correctly.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I forgot to mention a couple of extreme examples:
1) I have used epoxy that was 10 years old. I did a test batch first and when this kicked, I used it for the project and have not had a problem.
2) During my build I accidentally poured some excess hardener into the resin jug. :doh: (I've told this story so forgive the repetition.) I reasoned that if I didn't touch it there would be a blob of hardened epoxy where it dropped so I waited a day and scooped it out. Jacques said not to use the remaining epoxy on the boat but I didn't discard it and later in another project, tried it and it kicked fine with no problems.

None of this means that in your case there wasn't a bad batch, bad atmospheric conditions, or your favorite saint, Murphy, at work, of course! :lol:
Tony

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dbcrx »

Jaysen wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 11:13 am Did a spot check this AM... Slow hardener glue hard as a rock. Mast straight. A few gaps that I can drill and fill. More assessment later tonight when i pull screws..

This leaves me with questions about my epoxy mixing...
1. I used new bottle of resin. could that have been the problem?
2. I used wood flour instead of silica. could that have been the problem?
3. I used the old bottle of slow not the fast hardener. could that be the problem?
4. Since I was using slow, did I mix better?

I may mix up a batch of fast tonight just to see. I do need to over drill and fill the screw holes so it won't be wasted.
I vote 4!

Old resin should still work.
Silica shouldn't cause any issues - even if it got damp it would probably only make the resin a bit cloudy, but it should still go hard.
If the fast hardener was working before, no reason it will have suddenly gone bad.
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I'm pretty dang sure I had the ratio right. I use the same measures and use the CL separation method (resin on the right on a red cup, hardener on the left with other color cup). Everything gets hot on schedules, just never gets hard. I won't rule out that I somehow contaminated either the fast hardener or that last bottle of resin. I guess I'll need to make some test batches straight, silica and wood with both hardeners just to see.

I'm still not ruling out a "stir it enough" issue (aka "Fuzzy mixing"). I just don't see how slow would work faster than fast.

And yes Fuzz, I know which bottle is which. The slow is a BIG bottle, the fast is the LITTLE bottle...

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

dbcrx wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 1:02 pmI vote 4!
I think that is the consensus.

cape man

Post by cape man »

I'm trying to rig up some way to weigh her. Hard to do with no roof and no solid floor!
A bathroom scale and two guys. Piece of scrap ply for the scale to sit on. Pick the boat up, one guy on the scale, read it (great job for the bow candy as you call her - reading the scale). Put the boat down, move the scale to the other guy and repeat. Add the two weights. I weighed Hermine that way and then with two bathroom scales with both guys standing on the scales and got weights within 1 pound of each other. Keep the boat as close to the same level while weighing if using one scale.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

Oh yeah...subtract the weight of the men :roll: :roll: :doh: :D
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman