Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by glossieblack »

Nice work Eric. You're almost out of the fairing doldrums. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 9:28 pm Boats looks great Eric. Is it starting to feel like it is 50 foot long yet :lol:
Thank You Fuzz. Yea at least 50 foot long. :lol:
glossieblack wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 10:47 pm Nice work Eric. You're almost out of the fairing doldrums. :D

Thank You too Glossieblack. I'm ready for it to end. It's 3:30 pm as I write this and I'm worn out from the day already.
I finished the third bottom panel first thing this morning. Then I vacuumed and washed the bottom again. After that Io mixed 30 grams of QF and put it on the bow. That took me until 11:45 so my Brother and I headed to lunch. After lunch I mixed another 30 grams and spot filled the bottom. It went pretty far as most of the lows were light, Some were just textures I didn't like.

Here are the pictures, The fat old fart is finished today.

Spot fill on bottom.

Torture devices...Not really but I'm feeling it today.
This was where I stopped. All in all a pretty good day's work.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eric, I agree, it looks like the fairing and sanding is almost over for you!!! The boat looks great!! Jeff

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Jeff wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 3:56 pm Eric, I agree, it looks like the fairing and sanding is almost over for you!!! The boat looks great!! Jeff
Thank You Jeff!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I got good news and bad news. The outside fairing is almost done. Before you know it you will be done with this one, a little time will pass, and then you will be wanting to build another one. Sort of like a woman having babies :lol: :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Oh god! It's been 9mo that I've been gestating mine. Literally. Fuzz may be evil.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Looking good. This is probably the only time that anyone will be looking at the bottom as carefully as you are. Don't to be too hard on yourself. A few coats of Epoxy Graphite can do wonders to a boat bottom!

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 10:18 pm I got good news and bad news. The outside fairing is almost done. Before you know it you will be done with this one, a little time will pass, and then you will be wanting to build another one. Sort of like a woman having babies :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I already have the plans!
Jaysen wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 10:40 pm Oh god! It's been 9mo that I've been gestating mine. Literally. Fuzz may be evil.
Nah, Not evil he just knows your ways. 8O
Browndog wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:23 am Looking good. This is probably the only time that anyone will be looking at the bottom as carefully as you are. Don't to be too hard on yourself. A few coats of Epoxy Graphite can do wonders to a boat bottom!
Man I hope you are right, I feel bad knowing there are small spots I'm trusting the graphite will cover. I mean three coats of the stuff should cover something. Right?

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

Looking good Eric. Fairing to me is the most difficult part of building these boats.
Completed D15, Completed PH18

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

cvincent wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:40 am Looking good Eric. Fairing to me is the most difficult part of building these boats.
Thank You and I agree, Fairing is tedious.

End of the day post.
I sanded the second side from chine to trim line. This is what I have after the first coat of Quick Fair.

I am pleased with it. Here is the bow up close. It's better than expected.

Here is the worst of it, but I expected this much. It's where I joined the ply to make a long panel.

All in all. A good days work. 8)