Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

Hmmm.

Mast step from pvc cap. It's well attach d and not going anywhere.

And here we go!

The plans call for 3" hole in mast partner. I matched the step to it. But it seems very wrong. I would expect it to be a bit more snug. Here are the closeups of the partner and step with mast fit. They are dead on the plan for centered on measurements.

What do we think?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I'm sorr to say something seems wrong to me, with both the step and the partners. Without some kind of insert, this is going to wobble all over the place. I don't get it.
Tony

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Jaysen, suggest you glue up two layered plywood donut sleeves with the top layer diameter wider than the openings. Finish them bright, and they'll look the part.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I tripple checked the plans... 3" in partner. Insert optional. Mast diameter 2" till mid then taper to 1.5". There is a mention of an optional insert. JM did mention that it needed to be loose in a different thread to allow rotation, but this seems...

My thought is wrap the mast with epoxy soaked rope to increase diameter and reduce total space difference to 1/4" (3/4" of rope). Thoughts?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, I just don't know but that does seem really wrong. I will get Reid or Jamie to thoroughly go over the plans first thing tomorrow and get back to you. I agree this is just way too loose!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jeff, pull these if needed...

Here are the relevant plan parts.
IMG_4225.JPG
IMG_4224.JPG
IMG_4223.JPG

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Sail rigged. I was going to leave it for later but the boss had other ideas. Need to figure out snotter location but that requires mast on boat and water.

I'm planning sailing on Saturday.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Shower and a beer and I have the following options.

1. Scab on the partner.
Route off 1/8" in an 8x8 square middle of partner. Square out 3" hole. Put in 3x3 squares and top with 8x8 square. Redrill mast hole.

2. Wrap mast.
Use rope or other material to wrap mast adding 3/4" total diameter. Keep impregnated with epoxy to make hard. Use color matching last layer to look like oars.

3. Sleeve the partner and mast.
Find a 3to2 pvc reducer bushing. Shove one in the partner. Above another in step. Insert mast. Go sailing.

I like all of them. 3 get me in the water. 2 will look consistent. 1 is "right" but a lot of work. I don't think there is any structural issue to worry about. Just properly retaining the mast.

As far as the step is concerned, it's just a pvc end cap. I'll just replace it even though I mention other things above.

Thoughts?

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Brilliant, and shows a resilient spirit! :D
Look forward to the photos.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:18 pm Brilliant, and shows a resilient spirit! :D
Cracker Larry wrote:It's only a thing.
Trying to live that.