Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Aripeka Angler »

I saw what the pics said, looks great 8)
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Can't believe how quickly you're moving. Looks great.
Do you have a decision on the main sheet rigging?
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Mast wrap success. No pics tonight. Will take tomorrow.

Tony, having difficulty with the snotter. Plan was a block attached to mast via short line with clove. I've got the location damn near perfect but can't get the line to bite the mast enough to prevent slippage which reduced the tension on the snotter. Short of putting a cleat on the mast what recommendations do you have for securing that line?

I'm also struggling to keep adequate downhaul on the tack. I'm contemplating a similar setup (block on line clove to mast) but the tension there will be MUCH greater than the sprit. Everything I'm finding in my searches is loops on aluminum masts which isn't helpful. Open to any suggestions.

Thanks.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:55 pm Can't believe how quickly you're moving. Looks great.
Do you have a decision on the main sheet rigging?
Cross posted!

For now main sheet will be hand held line. I'm going to keep a$$ mounted on aft seat until I'm confident in snotter and downhaul. As you can see in the photos, the pintle has a slightly long line so the sheet should be forward of the transom per JM direction for sheet angle. I'm thinking that pins at aft frame may be perfect for a quick loop hold on the main.

Hope that makes sense.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

On the tack downhaul or snotter: You're opposed to a cleat or padeye?
If you want a knot that will hold just by friction you could use a
Prussic knot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prusik
Rolling hitch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_hitch
Camel hitch (here is one version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFzxIbNzpKg

If you use either a cleat, padeye, or tie one of these knots around the mast, pass it through the cringle at the tack and then back to the cleat or padeye...or, in the case of a knot, another knot. That gives you a mechanical advantage of 2/1 which should be sufficient. The knots of course may slide after awhile but these are pretty good and the best I can give you; but I'm not quite sure I'm understanding the problem. I'd be fine with padeyes and blocks.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Thanks Tony. My reluctance to screw things to the mast is more about "is this really where I want the hole FOREVER?" than anything else. It's awful soon to be making decisions. Heck, it's easier to get "unmarried" than for me to fix a hole in the mast. :)

Jeff, SC paper work is a problem. I need "make and model" for a home built. How do you want to be known in the official SC paperwork?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, which ever is best for you and easiest with the State for registration!! The designer of the boat is: Mertens-Goossens Yacht Design (MGYD) - this is the name of the company that Jacques uses for all of his plans/designs. But again, I am happy to be what best facilitates your registration!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I think I need the MGYD tag. The directions are less than clear. I'm calling the model V12. Do you want me to use actual measurement or design measurement for length and depth (transom to keel)? My guess is this is going into the state DB for "comparison"

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, I suggest you call it: MGYD Design V-Bottom Dingy 12 and then add the exact measurement in the description on the application. Let me know if you need anything from us to add to your application. Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jeff wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:32 am Jaysen, I suggest you call it: MGYD Design V-Bottom Dingy 12 and then add the exact measurement in the description on the application. Let me know if you need anything from us to add to your application. Jeff
Apparently the state REALLY doesn't want folks building boats here. Basically there isn't an option on the title form to register a home build. I'm calling them shortly.

Based on the form field size and such, I'm going with
• Make -- MGYD
• Model -- V12

I'll let everyone know how it goes "post call".