Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by terrulian »

A great story! Thanks for taking the time to recount it. All in all, nobody got hurt, you got back to the launch site, no blood on the decks--right?

I've never been a fan of rowing either but I think you got an inkling of how sweet this hull is to row--and the V12 should row even better than my V10. It makes a lot of difference to have the oar/oarlock setup right, though, and because it isn't quite right yet you're not able to get into a nice smooth rhythm, I'm guessing. All minor adjustments, though.

Great stuff, and I look forward to some visual documentation. You're giving me ideas about going ahead with the conversion to sail...hmmm :D
Tony

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Thanks for the laugh and story. My wife gave me a funny look as she was driving and asking what's so funny. Your adventures after building the boat are just as good as the build.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Dang it man...............I need to be sitting on the beach with a cold one when you decide to go for a sail.
Sounds like you and Lil Bit are having a grand old time together. :D You do tell a good story. Put you, Tony, Craig and the Cracker together with a little rum and the stories would have been film worthy.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

There are a few ways to become a good story teller.

1. Read a LOT of books. You learn how to use imagination and you expericane many different way to express ideas.
2. Listen to a lot of stories. Oral traditions are as old language. The best stories become the legends of family and tomorrow. Every family has a story teller. Find as many as you can and listen to them all.
3. Live life. Experience things. Share your experiences. Sit and talk. Laugh. Argue. Cry. Connecting with people is natural when you're living life. Stories are how we connect and tell people who we are. The more you share the better you become.

i have a feeling that anyone crazy enough to build a boat would be a good story teller.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Is 6:30am too early for medicinal rum? I LARGE quantities?

I've discovered new muscle groups. And found a few more impact points (aka bruises). My little sail adventure has certainly made it clear that my soft self needs to be less soft. Luckily the fix for that problem... more sailing!

Today is going to be a light day. I have a deadline for some writing that will keep me near the house. Maybe some rowing later today. That or just some general boat work.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:24 pm There are a few ways to become a good story teller.

1. Read a LOT of books. You learn how to use imagination and you expericane many different way to express ideas.
2. Listen to a lot of stories. Oral traditions are as old language. The best stories become the legends of family and tomorrow. Every family has a story teller. Find as many as you can and listen to them all.
3. Live life. Experience things. Share your experiences. Sit and talk. Laugh. Argue. Cry. Connecting with people is natural when you're living life. Stories are how we connect and tell people who we are. The more you share the better you become.

i have a feeling that anyone crazy enough to build a boat would be a good story teller.
All good points that this next generation is missing out on.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well... today is a loss. Writing done but now the body is done. Ankle is the worst of it. Seems to be clearing up. The rest is just bumps and bruises.

Based on yesterday I need to figure out the following before working in anything else.
1. Stowage for "not in use gear"
1a. Oars
1b. Mast/sprit/sail/dagger/rudder
1c. Lines and fenders.
2. Cleats and eyes. Lots of them.
2a. All mast lines.
2b. For docking
2c. For anchor (hold in place and "oh shoot")
2d. For recovery tow.
3. Safety/supply bag for sunscreen, water, documents.

I think everything else should be behind these.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Jaysen, I have to tell you that this has been a fun build to follow :D
I know next to nothing about sailboats, but it has been enjoyable nonetheless.
I've also been in and or observed plenty of interesting situations like the one you had with the dock.
I always say, it could have been a lot worse.
You know what Cracker would have said?
"At least nobody got hurt and the boat didn't break!".
I heard him say the above statement at least 3 dozen times.
He considered getting hurt to mean an injury requiring medical attention or hospitalization. :lol:
Sail on, looking good from here...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:52 pm You know what Cracker would have said?
"At least nobody got hurt and the boat didn't break!".
I heard him say the above statement at least 3 dozen times.
He considered getting hurt to mean an injury requiring medical attention or hospitalization. :lol:
I believe those were the same words I said once the camera was off. As long as the doctor doesn't get paid it's a win!

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Jaysen,
Congratulation on the launch of your beautiful boat. I loved reading the story around it and when I saw that you were pushed by wind and waves into the dock I knew exactly how you felt because this nearly happened to me using my FS13 the other day. With one big difference I was on a practically calm lake with little waves and only had to exert myself using the paddle a bit quicker. This should also be the consoler for you that you battled on the edge of an ocean and in not really perfect weather. The nice thing about it is that one learns in a few minutes a lot which one will change the next time. Do not forget your better half to take along again as an expert film maker ( in my opinion ) when you try the next sail and be patient to wait for the ideal weather situation. I think lots of us boat builders, sailors or future sailors ( I am one of those ) of the Bateau forum are looking forward to see your next video in fair winds.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433