How to register your newly built boat

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: How to register your newly built boat

Post by TomW1 »

Wow what a difference in the requirement between states since I asked Jeff to do this. I hope that the builders in other states see this and contribute also, Fuzz in Alaska, our Hawaiian builders, California, Mississippi and others that come to mind.

This will be a great resource to post builders to or Jeff my even refer to it in the Builders Notes when he ships a set of plans.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

TomW1, great idea on referriing builders to the thread!! Jeff

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

I'm down under in Queensland, Australia but am posting this as it may be of value to a builder in this part of the world.

The issue for me was not registering the boat but rather, getting insurance for an owner built boat.

Registration: All new boats require an Australian Builders Plate that gives details of max. hp, max. persons and load, and flotation. Owner built boats don't require an ABP in Queensland, but can't be sold without one. I have no intention of selling my boat but I got an ABP because I thought it might facilitate obtaining insurance on the boat. As I had modified the Jacques original Mangusta 20 plans, I got an appropriate person to calculate the data needed for the ABP, but I am sure Jacques could supply that data for a boat built to one his designs. The registration authority supplied a Hull Identification Number (HIN) on application.

Registration itself was just a matter of filling out the form and paying the fee.

Insurance: Obtaining insurance was also quite straight forward, although only a few of the larger insurance companies would consider insuring an owner built boat. Those that were interested required photos of the completed boat, a condition inspection report from a marine dealership, and a valuation report from a yacht/boat broker. I supplied those plus a copy of my build diary, including many build photos.

All good - boat registered and insured!

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Out of curiosity, about how much above your cost to build did they value the boat? (a ballpark percentage not looking for the exact dollar amount here)

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Jamie, that is a tricky question to answer and what I have invested will horrify some in here. I have spared no expense in my build and have generally used the best (arguably) materials and fittings available.

The boat is insured for A$120k, made up roughly as follows:

Hull - A$40k: marine ply, glass, epoxy, fuel tanks, pumps, hull fittings, seats, pedestals, SeaDek etc
Motor - A$35k
Trailer - A$15k
Bolt ons - A$30k: Jack plate, trim tabs, sounder/gps combos (x 2), transducers (x 4), electric trolling motor, anchor winch, batteries (x 5)

The hull cost does not include my labour and there is no labour provision for fit-out.

I did not get a valuation as such from the broker - I just gave them my figures and they certified it was a fair valuation for a comparable boat of that size and standard of equipment and fit-out.

My wife tells people that I have spent A$400k on the boat !!! :lol: However the figures above are close to the mark.

I still have some money to spend on S/S side rails, T-top, vinyl wrap, radios and lights.

If one follows my model, then "build your own" does not deliver a cheap boat! :D

Is it worth it? Yes, for me it is. The boat has more than exceeded my every expectation. I cannot buy a production boat that suits what I like to do and intend to do better that this one. It is a completely unique custom built boat.

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Agreed, The method isn't meant to be necessarily economical (though it can help to distribute the cost of owning a boat over time, and there are some models that can be cheaper than a factory boat of the same size). Plywood/FG composite gives a stronger, and lighter finished product, and to me that is worth the extra expense. Also the fact that you get to configure it exactly to your needs, as you have done, makes the whole process worthwhile.

Glad you are enjoying the process. Your work is an inspiration to many builders here, I can't wait to see some of the adventures had in that boat!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Updated June 15 based on the call I just had to complete the submission for Lil Bit....

SC process as just explained from the DNR on 24th April 2017 for a sailboat with NO mechanical propulsion....

1. Complete boat.
2. Go to http://www.dnr.sc.gov/boating/boatingforms.html and download forms "Watercraft/Outboard Motor Application, Bill of sale, tax exempt form, co-owner form" and "Application for Hull Identification Number for Watercraft"
3. Complete forms.
4. Take close up pictures of bow port and starboard and transom. Take photos showing FULL BOAT from port, starboard, front and back.
5. Open wallet and find $10 for a NO MOTOR AT ALL sailboat/kayak/rowboat or $40 for a big boy boat with a motor.
6. Make copies of the completed SIGNED forms. Send the cash and original forms to DNR address on forms (all at one time).
7. Go on the water WITH your copies as these are your temp tags valid for 60days. Wait a min of 30days with a completed boat you can't legally use.
8. Pray to deities numerous that LEO doesn't want to talk to you (they come to you)
9. Once HID, title and reg (if over 14') arrive properly place tags and reg # on hull.
10. Pay taxes once they show up next year.

Process length is min 30days.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Wheels Up
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Wheels Up »

In Alabama, fill out this application for a hull number and register it like any other boat.

http://www.outdooralabama.com/sites/def ... 2015_0.pdf

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jeff thought you had put this at the top like the Amateur boat building in Europe one is only not locked.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Tom, me too!! I will get Jamie to have a look right away!! Jeff