Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by terrulian »

I agree. Try a couple of test holes in a piece of scrap. Probably won't need more than two lines at a time so see how easy it is stuffing them through, and consider having to do it in a hurry from an awkward position. :wink:
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I was thinking a bit...

What about a small diameter hole (rounded and graphite), a line loop through it and a ring or two on the loop?

An other thought was a short line through a smaller hole with a ring on each end.

And one I think I like best... 2 small holes stacked vertical on mid and aft frame (both P and S). Eye on P and S underside of mast partner. Run high strength line through holes with tie off at eyes. I would tie off at knees but some jack a$$ didn't put them on his boat.

The advantage to the latter is I get a lot of tie off spots for working lines and static lines. I can even use them for cargo tie offs.

I could start with just on line and if it works add the second. If not, increase hole size to something like what you've got.

How stupid is that idea?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

It might work. Offhand, it seems like more complication than is needed. When you tie up the boat you will want the dock/mooring line to be attached to a solid point, not tied to a line where it might slide. Not sure but I thought that's what you were describing. I like the idea of tie-downs, though, which is something you're going to have to sort out anyway.
When I design something of this sort I do what I think I've seen you do, which is do a proof-of-concept trial. You're going to need some kind of holes to attach lines amidships and aft, I think, so you could start with small holes as you describe, with the loop or ring, and see if that works out to be convenient. If not, the holes can be enlarged, although this isn't so easy with a hole saw once you've cut out the pilot hole area. The eye quickly catches a hole that is out of round, even a little, so you'd want to think this through on pain of a result that looks sloppy. You can put a plug in the hole to accomplish this.
Tony

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

terrulian wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:17 pm If not, the holes can be enlarged, although this isn't so easy with a hole saw once you've cut out the pilot hole area. The eye quickly catches a hole that is out of round, even a little, so you'd want to think this through on pain of a result that looks sloppy. You can put a plug in the hole to accomplish this.
The typical way to enlarge a hole using a hole saw is get a piece of scrap and cut the new size hole in it, then clamp it securely in position where you want to cut the hole and use the scrap with hole to guide the saw. It usually works cleanly and it's easy to do. If you also sandwich an uncut piece of scrap on the back side you can either saw until you hit it, or if the material is thick you can use the new pilot hole to saw from the other side to complete the job.
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I've always just used a piece of scrap ply and screws or clamps to cover existing hole. Provide a small pilot for centering and then have at it.

My thought was to keep the "securing line" hole under the 3/3 size for my testing which would make over drilling with hole saw or bore bit pretty simple.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Yep, that's what I meant by a "plug." Sometimes it is not so easy to clamp a backing plate where you want it but usually that's the ticket.
My thought was to keep the "securing line" hole under the 3/3 size
Don't know what you mean here. 3/3 = 1 :?:
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:07 am Don't know what you mean here. 3/3 = 1 :?:
3/8" was what I was SUPPOSED to type.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Was busy with the family the past several days, saying goodbye to my father, so missed your account of the launch. That is some funny stuff right there!!!

Congratulations!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

3/8" was what I was SUPPOSED to type.
OK, that makes sense.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

cape man wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:18 am Was busy with the family the past several days, saying goodbye to my father, so missed your account of the launch. That is some funny stuff right there!!!

Congratulations!
Sorry to hear that Cape Man.

I've recently decided that I have one of two choices in how I handle setbacks in my life.
1. cry about everything
2. laugh about almost everything and cry when it really mattered
I was once told "real men don't cry" which I know is a complete lie. Every real man I've ever met has cried in public. Over dogs, children, wives, parents and cars. But I never saw them cry over getting dumped over the side of a boat or gluing themselves to a boat. Then, all the real men laughed. Laughed until tears ran down their faces. These were men like CL. My decision was easy.

I hope that someday my kids remember me as laughing at the times life smacked me in the back of the head and crying when life broke my heart. Then I know I will have lived properly.

Wow... way too deep for a Monday morning.