Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Eric1 »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:59 pm Nice shop! It's way cleaner than mine :D The rocket is too cool!
Eric1 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:02 pm
By the way how many coats of primer do you guys use?
It depends.

Scenario 1) If your fairing is perfect, roll on a coat of primer. When the primer is dry to the touch, put on another coat without sanding. At this point, I would let the primer dry completely overnight and lightly sand. Roll on a final coat or two of primer and let it dry. Lightly sand and you are ready for paint. I have alway gave the final coat of primer a week to dry before paint.

Scenario 2) If you are not satisfied with the first prime coat, (pinholes, etc) you may have to do touch up filling and sanding between coats. Let the each coat of primer dry completely before touching up defects with fairing compound. At this point, it takes as many coats as it takes to get happy...
Thank You! I was thinking along these lines, but I wanted to run it by you guys on the forum. :)

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

You're welcome.
Make sure to clean the boat very well before the first coat of primer and after each round of sanding.
For the first wipe down, I use clean lint free rags with water to remove the dust and finish with denatured alcohol soaked rags.
I'm excited to see your boat in primer :D
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:29 pm You're welcome.
Make sure to clean the boat very well before the first coat of primer and after each round of sanding.
For the first wipe down, I use clean lint free rags with water to remove the dust and finish with denatured alcohol soaked rags.
I'm excited to see your boat in primer :D
I'm excited too! After I drop off my girls in the morning, I'm rolling her outside for a wash down with Dawn detergent. I hope to remove any oil from the machine shop. Day of primer I will go with denatured alcohol an hour or so before before rolling. I'm hoping to find paint strainers at Walmart tomorrow. We had a PPG Paint store but it closed down three years ago. I hate that too, they all the supplies you needed to paint cars etc. I may have go for a drive tomorrow and go on the hunt. I'm searching the net for something nearby.

Edit, found one in Greenville, about a 30 minute drive. :D

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

So now you are mopping the dang floor :?: You are nuts :!:
Ok so prime till you are happy..............what is the over/under? I am putting my bet on 7 coats. :lol:

Need to talk to the BBC folks. There needs to be two classes of builder threads. One for normal folks and one for the truly over the top nuts :D

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:26 am So now you are mopping the dang floor :?: You are nuts :!:
Ok so prime till you are happy..............what is the over/under? I am putting my bet on 7 coats. :lol:

Need to talk to the BBC folks. There needs to be two classes of builder threads. One for normal folks and one for the truly over the top nuts :D
1. In fairness, the floor had not been mopped in two years. :P

2. I know. :lol:

3. Only seven? You under estimate the nature of my condition!! Don't feel bad, So do the Doctors! :lol: :lol: :lol:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:59 pm
Scenario 1) If your fairing is perfect, roll on a coat of primer. When the primer is dry to the touch, put on another coat without sanding. At this point, I would let the primer dry completely overnight and lightly sand. Roll on a final coat or two of primer and let it dry. Lightly sand and you are ready for paint. I have alway gave the final coat of primer a week to dry before paint.

Scenario 2) If you are not satisfied with the first prime coat, (pinholes, etc) you may have to do touch up filling and sanding between coats. Let the each coat of primer dry completely before touching up defects with fairing compound. At this point, it takes as many coats as it takes to get happy...
Eric, If any builder is going to pull of Scenario 1, it will be you. Good luck!
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Last chance to check your fairing two coats of primer and then another guide coat!
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Wow, Forgot all about the Bad Azz Rocketry thing. I remembered you using an E-mail address with that name for your plans order. That is just plain Awesome. Your shop looks like it has damn near everything! I can hardly imagine the trouble I would get into in a shop like that.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Thanks Glossieblack, Tom and Jamie!
Yes Jamie, It is easy to get into trouble with the tools on hand. You would not believe some of the things I've been ask to make and modify.
As far as the rocketry thing, I used to monitor where all the website hits came from. You would be surprised to have seen all the hits from Iran,Afghanistan etc. I had messages from people there wanting me to teach them how to make rocket fuel. HE!! NO!

So The guys in the shop helped me roll the boat outside for a wash down.
Here is a picture of Ray Next to the boat.

From the field behind the shop.

After washing I found some pin hole on the bottom to fill.

Both spray rails had pin holes too. I pretty much had to fill the entire port spray rail.
I just did't see these when the boat was inside. Sunlight made all this jump out at me.

All of that and a bit more has been filled and I'll sand it this afternoon.
I left the boat outside so the quick fair will be cured. I'm picking up the kids at 2:30 so it will be after that.

That's all from this Fairly Mad Boatman. :lol:

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Get the hull outside and somebody standing next to it and the size really stands out. The is a big hull you have there :!: