Shelterlogic 18'x28' "Boat Factory"

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shelterlogic 18'x28' "Boat Factory"

Post by Jeff »

Narfi, Nice work on the Boat Factory!!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

If you look at my picture from yesterday, you can see that the walls look loose and the bottom of the walls are pulling toward the back while there obviously isn't enough room around the front frame to let the entire cover shift that direction.

I decided that the pockets for the wall braces were incorrectly cut from the factory and recut where I thought they should go.

You can see in this picture the original pocket gap to the left and on the right where I recut the pocket to fit around the frame.
20170703_202530.jpg
With the cover fitting more comfortably I ran a line and nailed down the legs in a straight line again.

Then I was able to force the wall braces down and tighten them to the frames. (Would have been alot easier with two people) I stood and slightly jumped on the braces and squatted down and tightened them enough I could hold it down with one hand and finish tightening.

I'm not sure what sequence you are supposed to do that in but I started in the middle and did pairs opposite each other working my way to each end and tightening the 4 corners last.

Ratcheted the four corners down as tight as I was comfortable with again and am pretty happy with the results. It's nearly as tight as a drum between each section.

20170703_202727.jpg

Hindsight being 20/20 I would have done alot less before getting the cover on. Just squaring the 4 corners and letting all the other legs do their own thing. Then once covered and wall braces loosely installed worried about spacing and aligning the legs and securing them down.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Like everything else you get better at something after doing it a while. I willing to bet that anyone who has built several boats will say their last one was better than their first one.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Narfi it looks good. As someone who has done many of these type of sheds for my Nursery before I retired you want it looking like it is now. In the winter it will tighten up like sucking on a dill pickle. You want that tightness to support your snow load. My main greenhouse, 28x48, which was heated, had twin blown walls and 8mil plastic and a 120,000 BTU heater, and with stood what is called the Blizzard of 93 around these parts, 35" of snow over 2 days.

I will be honest I don't know what the specs are on your covering material or metal bows. But be careful that they have been engineered for not the average snow fall but a very large above average one time fall. I will tell you there were millions and millions of dollars of commercial greenhouses that collapsed during that storm. Be prepared to heat it to melt the snow off it if you get such a storm.

I'm sorry I have not been in on this conversation before, but my Mom who is 92 just had a coma as a result of cancer and I have been traveling and not really been on the forum much. Hope this is info you can use as I have probably built 8-10 sheds like this. Ask any questions you might have. If I had been on earlier I might have saved you some grief. Sorry.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Thanks. And sorry to hear about your mom.

I'm not sure the thickness, I think I knew when I was researching and purchased it. I think 9mil? Does that sound right?
It's a single piece (not sure if the inside and outside are two different materials though... It's white inside and grey outside.

We get cold winters here but not usually huge dumps of snow at once. Worst I've seen is probably a foot in 2 days or so.

You just heat from the inside to melt it off?
How much heat is needed (it's not usually below 20ish if it's really dumping so only need to raise it 15-20 degrees?)

Tonight I dug a shallow trench around the outside and burried the wall flaps. Then put an old steel pipe along the bottom of the back door I don't plan on using and hurried it as well.

Then I raked a bunch more inside getting the edges filled back in and the entire room a bit smoother. Raking got all the stones off the surface as well.

I plan to put some shelves along the edge and stretch a tarp that is a little smaller than the room out to keep it a little cleaner. It won't be a sterile environment but hoping I can manage not to mix too much dirt in with my work.

Maybe I'll be ready this weekend to build the strongback for the fs17 this weekend and get it leveled. (I know the floor isn't perfect so will take some shimming to get it level)

The plan is to use it as the work table for building the hc14 first and then as the strongback for the fs17.
20170704_211809.jpg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The shelter is looking good. I think you will be able to build in it for much of the year. Not sure if you plan on working all winter or not. If so a Toyo will be a big help. Until the weather cools I think it would be nice to be able to open up both ends to get some airflow at times.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Narfi, my thoughts, 9 mil sounds good. As far as a heater you want something large enough to keep up with the falling accumulating snow, so keeping the ceiling at 35-40 degrees from side to side is what you need. A good heater man can calculate that for you. It is based on Cu. Ft. and amount of temperature rise needed. During the summer, Fuzz hit the nail on the head. These sheds can get extremely hot. Plan on being to opening both ends and maybe even a couple of fans blowing air out, never in.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

The tarp for the floor came in today so we staked it down offcenter to one side and the front.

On the uncovered side we setup shelving. 3 sets of shelving broke down to half night makes 6 table height shelves.

Drug out all the random toolboxes and random boxes of junk that's collected unsorted over the years of not having a work area at home. Landon started digging it out and setting it on the shelves as I setup the last one.

Tomorow hopefully have enough energy to go through it all and make some sort of order out of it. (Probably need to toss some of it)

The boss came out and set up her throne. Then announced she would be supervising.

20170705_192516.jpg
20170705_221418.jpg
20170705_223955.jpg

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Well done Narfi.

Your about ready to build boats. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Quite impressive amount of progress in a short time!
It will be great to have a spacious shop to build your boat(s). You're making two boats, right?
Tony