Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Eric1 »

blueflood wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:05 pm Top notch Eric :D Going great !
Man, your shop. I want one 😥 I was looking for your build in the Builder section of the site.

Marc
Thank you Marc! It is nice building inside with the AC on. I'm gonna head back in the morning to finish this round of sanding.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Eric1 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:44 pm I sanded the transom and about half of the other bottom side today. I had to stop and go get my haircut.
That curly mop had to go! High and tight now I'm feeling right! :lol:
I have found that letting it all fall out works pretty good too 8O

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

What??? AC??? That would be fantastic, it was 103' in my shop yesterday at 1800.
Your boat is looking great!
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Eric1 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:44 pm I sanded the transom and about half of the other bottom side today. I had to stop and go get my haircut.
The boat is looking good but a sailor with a high and tight!? :doh: What did you do in the Navy?

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:32 am
I have found that letting it all fall out works pretty good too 8O
I took after my Mom plenty of hair. My brother took after Dad, Pattern baldness.
Aripeka Angler wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:47 am What??? AC??? That would be fantastic, it was 103' in my shop yesterday at 1800.
Your boat is looking great!
Thank You! I feel for you. It gets to 90's in the machine shop with the AC's but we're close this week. No metal being cut means not heat generation from the motors or the cuts!
BB Sig wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:58 am The boat is looking good but a sailor with a high and tight!? :doh: What did you do in the Navy?

Thanks Barry! I was an electronics tech. I went to "A"school with a bunch of Marines in Great Lakes. Spent more time with them than I did the other sailors. Our first instructor was a Gunny, I had nothing but respect for that man. He was smart as a whip and squared away. My first Chief was a slob, no respect for his uniform or person. That was pretty much the course of my tour of duty.
I joined the wrong branch of service to be honest. I did like Sea duty but I never fit in like I did with those Grunts.
Besides all that, I love the haircut. Cool in the summer and quick in the shower. :wink:

Mugshot.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

I finished sanded the second half of the boat today.
I found a couple of places I needed to fill.

Probably where the air file got out of my hands.
Filled.

Spot in spray rail fillet I didn't like.
Filled.

After two coats of primer this is my average surface. I'm going to add another two coats and hopefully it will fill the "orange peel. I don't know, There was a tremendous difference from coat one to coat two. I'm wanting to avoid trying to throw quick fair that thin. It just seems to sand off when I try that. What do y'all think?

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dbcrx »

Adding more coats won't fill in the orange peel. If anything it will just make it heavier. You should be able to sand the orange peel out, but with only 2 coats on there you risk burning through the primer, adding more coats will give you plenty to work with to then sand it flat again. When rolling or brushing, you're better off putting thin coats on and sanding between each coat. It's a pain in the ass I know, but it's easier to flat off the roller texture from one thin coat. If you do 3 or 4 coats without sanding, the texture will build up and you'll end up sanding 2 of the coats off again to get it flat.
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

dbcrx wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:46 pm Adding more coats won't fill in the orange peel. If anything it will just make it heavier. You should be able to sand the orange peel out, but with only 2 coats on there you risk burning through the primer, adding more coats will give you plenty to work with to then sand it flat again. When rolling or brushing, you're better off putting thin coats on and sanding between each coat. It's a pain in the ass I know, but it's easier to flat off the roller texture from one thin coat. If you do 3 or 4 coats without sanding, the texture will build up and you'll end up sanding 2 of the coats off again to get it flat.
Ok, That makes sense. I'll just do one coat at a time, sand and repeat. This is gonna take a while, stay tuned.. :roll:

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

After thinking about the boat last night. I came in this morning and put a guide coat on the primer on a small section.
Light spray of Dykem:

I put away the RO sander. I've about decided it is useless as tits on a fish for this work. I dressed my blocks with 120 and went to work.
As DBCRX posted it's a PITA, but in the end I think it will be worth it. I'm getting a very slick surface doing this but it is gonna take some time.
To get the orange peel out I have just barely went through the primer in a couple of spots. I plan to work the entire boat and prime it again.
Fellas it's been good to know you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

That looks like it's going to work, but are you sure you want a flawless mirror finish? :lol:
Hank