Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by TomW1 »

Knew you would end up doing a guide coat. :lol: :lol: It is looking great. Just think when you get it done with 120 and then have to sand with 330 for the final coats, then you are really done with prepping. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

I finished sanding the first side today. I had machine repairmen on the floor all day. Had to rent a larger forklift to get the transmission off the machine. Lifting a $25k gearbox twelve feet in the air at the tip of six foot long forks will tighten your pucker muscle more than you would think. We get to do it again in the morning. Yay :|
Sorry no pictures today.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I can't wait to see what you call "finished sanding" :lol:

At my old job I picked million dollar plus stuff off of a boat a lot. Never thought much of it, it was an oil companies money not mine. It is a whole different deal when it is your nickel on the line. I hope all goes well for you tomorrow. :wink:

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:12 pm I can't wait to see what you call "finished sanding" :lol:

At my old job I picked million dollar plus stuff off of a boat a lot. Never thought much of it, it was an oil companies money not mine. It is a whole different deal when it is your nickel on the line. I hope all goes well for you tomorrow. :wink:
Thank for the well wishes. I does wad me up some, the rental lift has a loose clutch and that don't help. 8O
I'll try to get a decent picture tomorrow after the install. It's doesn't convey well in pictures. I' basically taking the primer down to a 120 grit finish. then I'll prime again and sand that down to a 220 grit. I really don't want to go further than that because I'm concerned about paint adhesion. :doh:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I thought S3 (which I think your using) is no finer than 120. Might be worth checking the application notes.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:42 pm I thought S3 (which I think your using) is no finer than 120. Might be worth checking the application notes.
That's prep for primer. The 220 Is for the EMC topcoat.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Check the EMC surface prep too. I know there was something there that surprised me. Either way that EMC is nice stuff to work with. I have had a peeling issue that is due to improper prep between topcoat layers. I'd also suggest NOT using the reducer. Everything was much better without the reducer.

Good luck.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:21 pm Check the EMC surface prep too. I know there was something there that surprised me. Either way that EMC is nice stuff to work with. I have had a peeling issue that is due to improper prep between topcoat layers. I'd also suggest NOT using the reducer. Everything was much better without the reducer.

Good luck.
Thanks Jaysen for the heads up. I will double check before I sand down to 220. :)

Fuzz, this is the surface after two coats of primer.
A boat builder on a facebook group said he thought I didn't mix the primer enough. I don't know, I thought about buying a cheap blender to mix the primer for a few minutes to see if it helps. :help:

This is after block sanding with 120.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Well from here it looks the goods after the 120 block sanding. But I'm not exactly close, and neither is Fuzz!

Seriously though Eric, you're doing a great job. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

glossieblack wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:12 am Well from here it looks the goods after the 120 block sanding. But I'm not exactly close, and neither is Fuzz!

Seriously though Eric, you're doing a great job. :D
Thanks Bro, I hope so. I just don't want it to look bad after all the effort.