Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Jaysen »

So... I think you are over thinking this.

The EMC is self leveling. I only sanded to 60 on fairing and didn't even bother on primer. It was rough! I put the EMC on and now anything that I didn't but anit-slip in is too smooth to actually hold. Only areas where I had gouges are unfilled weave/seams show anything like an unsmooth surface. EMC will cover all the small things you are showing. In two coats (that's all I did on the hull sides). Do a small sample. I think you will be surprised and will move into topcoat.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:28 am So... I think you are over thinking this.

The EMC is self leveling. I only sanded to 60 on fairing and didn't even bother on primer. It was rough! I put the EMC on and now anything that I didn't but anit-slip in is too smooth to actually hold. Only areas where I had gouges are unfilled weave/seams show anything like an unsmooth surface. EMC will cover all the small things you are showing. In two coats (that's all I did on the hull sides). Do a small sample. I think you will be surprised and will move into topcoat.
I've actually got a test board made up. Just a primed/sanded piece of ply. There's no glass on it though, I want to see what bare wood would look like.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

If you thin it at the rate on the can, you will need at least 5 coats. If you are like me, you do 2 unthinned coats, then a thin coat. DO NOT LET IT CURE COMPLETELY. DO NOT SAND IT. Just put it on "wet on wet" like epoxy. I can't remember who suggested the test to me, but the minute you don't leave a finger print, put the next coat on.

I'm telling you, that sh!t is magic. You can see the "workboat" fairing, but the paint... almost looks like someone smart did it.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:36 am If you thin it at the rate on the can, you will need at least 5 coats. If you are like me, you do 2 unthinned coats, then a thin coat. DO NOT LET IT CURE COMPLETELY. DO NOT SAND IT. Just put it on "wet on wet" like epoxy. I can't remember who suggested the test to me, but the minute you don't leave a finger print, put the next coat on.

I'm telling you, that sh!t is magic. You can see the "workboat" fairing, but the paint... almost looks like someone smart did it.
I believe you but I'm not sure if I can go that route. My paint was mixed for a flat finish. I am supposed to mix 4:1:1 according to EMC.

I have the transom sanded out.

This shows the surface finish on the primer pretty well.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Eric1 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:18 am I believe you but I'm not sure if I can go that route. My paint was mixed for a flat finish. I am supposed to mix 4:1:1 according to EMC.
I'm not sure that matters. I think the thinner is "optional" for all the mixes but I've been known to be wrong (mrs points that out all the time). Either way, that EMC really is the cats meow for self leveling. Like the S3 for primer. Just makes all the small stuff vanish.

icelikkilinc
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by icelikkilinc »

I hate the prep work as it requires the most manual labour :lol: :lol:
Good decision to leave the RA if you are after the smooth finish..

Also from my experience, Usually most paints require a little waiting period after truly mixing.
Haven't used the products that you are using but I don't expect them to differ too much.
I used to thoroughly mix, than pass the mix through a filter to a clean container and let sit there couple minutes prior to application.
That was helping a lot on eliminating dirt and air bubbles etc
Ilker

TW28 launch: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23369

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dbcrx »

What made them think you hadn't mixed it properly? Looks fine to me, unless it's balling up when you sand it?

When you say the topcoat is mixed for a flat finish do you mean matt as apposed to gloss? If so then you will be better off doing thinner coats. Most matt paints don't get the full effect of the matting agent if applied to thick.
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

dbcrx wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:46 pm What made them think you hadn't mixed it properly? Looks fine to me, unless it's balling up when you sand it?

When you say the topcoat is mixed for a flat finish do you mean matt as apposed to gloss? If so then you will be better off doing thinner coats. Most matt paints don't get the full effect of the matting agent if applied to thick.
Yes, I suppose it's the same. I'm going to follow EMC's instructions on the paint. As for the primer, It's sanding fine. I just thought I'd share what the guy had said. I've have nothing to go by as this is my first build. First time for priming with this product etc.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

It's been a week full of headaches. My Machine is still not repaired. I'm being told it will be ready by end of today.
I've been chugging along sanding the primer. I just finished all of it one inch below the waterline. :D

Tomorrow is boat bath day. Then I'll prime it again and sand it with a finer paper.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Eric the boat is looking really nice. How fine are you planning on sending it down to?