Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by cape_fisherman »

I hate to even suggest this to you...but in these final stages I would rather see you using a longer board.

22"-24"

The shorter the board, the easier it will be to introduce new issues. At least...that's my theory.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

cape_fisherman wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:37 am I hate to even suggest this to you...but in these final stages I would rather see you using a longer board.

22"-24"

The shorter the board, the easier it will be to introduce new issues. At least...that's my theory.
I'll give that a go. I'm open to what you guys recommend. I'm learning as best I can. 8)

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

What about flex, would a flexible board or padded board help at this stage?
Hank

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

pee wee wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:17 pm What about flex, would a flexible board or padded board help at this stage?
You must be reading my mind. I was thinking of trying the sanding sponges also.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

pee wee wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:17 pm What about flex, would a flexible board or padded board help at this stage?
Exactly...but that's what nearly all fairing should be done with...so in my mind it went without saying.

Make you a 2' board with handles...thin wood & stick the paper to it. Put small, single attachment point handles close to either end. Go to war...
Last edited by cape_fisherman on Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dbcrx »

Have to disagree there. I don't like using soft pads for paint prep. I have some and they do get used, but only in very certain circumstances. If you are sanding the primer to still flat out any very slight highs/lows then a soft pad will just follow those and sand a dip back in. Fairing can only be done with a firm block. Flexible, yes, but soft, NO.

The only time I will use soft pads is if I know the surface is perfectly faired and it's a complex, curvy shape that just needs a light sanding to key up.
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

dbcrx wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:50 pm Have to disagree there. I don't like using soft pads for paint prep. I have some and they do get used, but only in very certain circumstances. If you are sanding the primer to still flat out any very slight highs/lows then a soft pad will just follow those and sand a dip back in. Fairing can only be done with a firm block. Flexible, yes, but soft, NO.

The only time I will use soft pads is if I know the surface is perfectly faired and it's a complex, curvy shape that just needs a light sanding to key up.
I agree with with just about everything you say and I know you are a professional painter.
Around the strakes and spray rails you have to use something flexible though.
That's just my opinion for what it's worth.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

I have to get another coat on. I plan to thin it down as I don't want a high build this time. The one thing I do know it the next round of sanding will be gentle! I have a pretty busy week ahead in the shop so I may not get a great deal done on the boat. Maybe I can at least get the primer on, we'll see.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Send me some photos when possible!! Have a good weekend and try to stay out of the heat!! Jeff

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Round two. I mixed 16 ounces of part A to 4 ounces of part B. Then I thinned it 10% with 1 ounce of 97% Isopropyl alcohol and 1 ounce of water. Start time was 8:45 am, temp was 72 in the shop. I waited 15 minutes and started rolling. Started on this side from bow. Then I did the transom. I changed the roller and went back forward to start the other side. I only made it about halfway when the primer started rolling like crap. It was 11:30 and shop temp was at 80 degrees. I dumped about 4 oz of primer out.

Happy side.

Not so happy side. Primer was rolling out too thick about halfway down.

I suspect between thinning it and the increase in temperature caused the shorter work time. No big deal, just hate I wasted it.
I'll finish this off in the morning.