Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Eric1 »

topwater wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:31 am Okay i must have missed something , why do you need a surface primer over the high build ?
I am with Richard on this one i think it looks great. Is there some problem with the primer ?
Thank You Topwater.:)
No issue with the high build, it's doing what it is suppose to do. I'm getting a real nice finish.
The thing is to get there I have cut through in many places. To cover these without having to have as heavy a build
I'm going to surface primer. I have discussed this with Jamie and Robin at EMC.

Jamie thinks I would be fine going on to topcoat. I suspect he's is most likely correct.
That said, I don't want to risk the paint coming off the boat a year from now. Though I think that is less than a 1% chance of happening.
Robin at EMC has advised me that if this were her boat she would go to surface primer as well.

I simply weighed the pros and cons.

Pro's:
1. I'll get a more even color from top coat.
2. I reduce the chance of paint adhesion issues. Same primer from topcoat manufacturer.
3. Reduce the chance of losing my finish from a heavy build of primer.

Con's:
1. Additional cost. (some what negated as this will last over several builds)

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

cvincent wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:19 am When I applied the system 3 primer I was able to obtain a very nice finish, but had a very fine orange peel. It may have been ok as it was but I applied the EMC surface primer over the system 3 to eliminate the orange peel before the application of the topcoat. I used these products when painting my D15 skiff. This is system that I used and it worked to my satisfaction.
It was your post that started me down this path. I think it will work as well for me! :wink:

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

Okay i get it now. I guess i'm not that anal 8) When my boat looked like that i went right to paint.
Not the best paint job but it looked good to me. Build on :!:
Novi 23 finally launched !

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

topwater wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:35 am Okay i get it now. I guess i'm not that anal 8) When my boat looked like that i went right to paint.
Topwater your paint job might not be the best :?: but I am not sure how it could have looked any better than it does :doh:
Your boat does not need to take a back seat to anything I have seen.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:38 pm
topwater wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:35 am Okay i get it now. I guess i'm not that anal 8) When my boat looked like that i went right to paint.
Topwater your paint job might not be the best :?: but I am not sure how it could have looked any better than it does :doh:
Your boat does not need to take a back seat to anything I have seen.
I have to agree with this. Topwater, That boat is beautiful. :D

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

I'mmmm still sanding after all this time...Sing to Elton John's "I'm still standing".

Next

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Eric!!! Really nice work!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Eric that boat is going to be the most sanded and faired of any that has been built here. Can't wait to see it when finished.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

topwater

Post by topwater »

I am pretty sure if you weighed the sanding dust at this point it would weigh more than the boat :lol:
Novi 23 finally launched !

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

topwater wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:56 am I am pretty sure if you weighed the sanding dust at this point it would weigh more than the boat :lol:
That's funny stuff! :lol:

I finished sanding the second side. I decided to block sand the bottom with 120 to prep for epoxy/graphite.
I was not really happy with the job the RO sander did. It may not matter for what's going there but I want to start smooth.
The surface primer came in this morning. I plan to have a coat of that on friday. I plan to test it on the transom first.

Back on bottom.