Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Fuzz »

Eric I am pretty sure you know the church hymn "there’s a great day coming" That is what came to my mind when I saw you talking about putting the graphite to the bottom. Funny how the mind works :lol:

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:49 pm Eric I am pretty sure you know the church hymn "there’s a great day coming" That is what came to my mind when I saw you talking about putting the graphite to the bottom. Funny how the mind works :lol:
AMEN! :lol:

I had to stop just now. I got nauseous twice to the point of dang near losing lunch.
I'm calling that the end of the day. I'm almost finished with the first bottom side.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Hey Eric looking good. Keep it up guy and you'll be ready to flip in a short time. Don't forget the graphite coat will float the way you apply it, so roll and tip it carefully. You sure don't want to sand that black mess. Take care and good finishing.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:24 pm Hey Eric looking good. Keep it up guy and you'll be ready to flip in a short time. Don't forget the graphite coat will float the way you apply it, so roll and tip it carefully. You sure don't want to sand that black mess. Take care and good finishing.

Tom
Thank you Tom! :D

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the graphite coat though. What do you mean by it floating the way it is applied? :doh:

topwater

Post by topwater »

I don't know if i would tip epoxy graphite but i would run a good heat gun over it to get it to flow out alittle.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

topwater wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:08 am I don't know if i would tip epoxy graphite but i would run a good heat gun over it to get it to flow out alittle.
I attempted to tip my graphite. I'll never tip anything again.

Use the CL method for graphite. Even I got mirrors from that. Hot day, hot shop, small batches. The only change I had to make was putting the graphite into the mixed epoxy instead of the other way around.

Although, I'm wondering if anything will stick to your mirror polished primer ;) (that's a joke).
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

topwater wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:08 am I don't know if i would tip epoxy graphite but i would run a good heat gun over it to get it to flow out alittle.
Definitely part of the plan and heck no to tipping it. :)
Jaysen wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:17 am
I attempted to tip my graphite. I'll never tip anything again.

Use the CL method for graphite. Even I got mirrors from that. Hot day, hot shop, small batches. The only change I had to make was putting the graphite into the mixed epoxy instead of the other way around.

Although, I'm wondering if anything will stick to your mirror polished primer ;) (that's a joke).
:lol: What batch size did you run? One of my concerns is blending from batch to batch. I have a lot of surface to cover and that does concern me.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I do not mix the graphite in the fairing compound. I apply a light dust of graphite with a rag.
I am certain that mixing it will work but my method is used by all auto body shops and is easier.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

My v12 took 2 3oz batches per layer. And that was too thick in each layer. My reason for 3oz was that I could get it out of the cup and on the hull fast enough. You MUST pre measure all your batches in separate cups (3 -- hardener in A, resin in B and graphite in C) and get it hot. Doing it again, I would use a heat gun or space heater to keep the pre measured stuff warm. My "quick mix" was
1. use one stick.
2. Stir hardener with stick (cup A)
3. Stir resin with same stick (cup B)
4. Scrape hardener into resin (cup A into B)
5. Stir about 10 times then start slowly adding graphite to resin (cup C into B)
6. WALK TO HULL WHILE STIrRING (cup B)
7. Pour onto hull in thin "zig zag".
8. Roll it out.

By the time I finished layer one, I could have started layer two, but I didn't. I changed roller after every layer. I "pre filled" roller with SLOW mixed epoxy to minimize soaking up graphite (mix 3oz/4" of roller and roll straight slow onto scrap ply)(also why I hesitated to go straight for second layer after first layer). My experience tells me that you for your c21 you will want three rollers ready to load and go as the roller will kick eventually. Better to have a spare frame with a cover and some pre measured straight ready to preload it than have your roller ruin the graphite.

I didn't need a heat gun but you may want one to smooth the seams between mixed patches. Small and fast seems to reduce that border line. Others used the gun to reduce bubbles. If I had any I didn't care or notice or both. The graphite is the ONLY finish work I was happy with.

And to reiterate a point CL made DO NOT try to dry sand it. I wouldn't bother sanding it at all, but you are ... you. Sand wet. :)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

jacquesmm wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:36 am I do not mix the graphite in the fairing compound. I apply a light dust of graphite with a rag.
I am certain that mixing it will work but my method is used by all auto body shops and is easier.
Jacques, I was referring to the epoxy graphite mix for the bottom. Not for fairing. Thanks for looking out for me. :wink: