Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Eric's C21

Post by jacquesmm »

Oops, sorry. I was reading a post about fairing at the same time.
Yes, the Cracker Larry method for graphite bottoms is the way to go, the only way.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Well I finished sanding the primer on the bottom. As I moved the work light, the primer revealed a Butt load of pin holes.
Would epoxy and graphite cover these? Maybe, but I don't want to chance them becoming fish eyes in the graphite.
Going to go mix a small batch of Quick Fair. This will come to a close at some point. :P

Filled.

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

Yours is looking great! Sure hope mine comes to a close soon. I want to start building again.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Eric pinholes will be filled by the graphite coating. Your going to be putting 3-4 coats on with a 25-33% ratio
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Tom, what do you think of 5? I'm finding 3 isn't holding up well. Granted I'm bashing on concrete and shells. The sand isn't helping either.

Eric, what topcoat are you using? I k ow you've mentioned it but I can't recall.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

You're doing right by filling the pin holes. There is a certain satisfaction to going the extra mile.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Heck Eric at this point even I am rooting for you to take the time to make it perfect :D
But that in no way means I am not looking forward to seeing some paint on this girl. :wink:

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:29 pm Tom, what do you think of 5? I'm finding 3 isn't holding up well. Granted I'm bashing on concrete and shells. The sand isn't helping either.

Eric, what topcoat are you using? I k ow you've mentioned it but I can't recall.
EMC Haze Gray.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Eric1 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:30 am
EMC Haze Gray.
Did you spend too much time sanding primer and it stuck that the boat its now supposed to be gray?! :wink:

I am amazed at your patience and diligence on this build!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That EMC covers a LOT of sins. It filled all but the biggest pin holes for me. Getting them now will make that EMC a dream finish.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.