Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by cape_fisherman »

Have you considered spraying...or are you stuck on rolling?

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

cape_fisherman wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:24 pm Have you considered spraying...or are you stuck on rolling?
I wish I could spray but I have nowhere to do it. Rolling will have to do.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Given your persistence, her paint job will turn out great. 8)
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Eric1 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:07 am I started with a trip to Lowes. They mixed the EMC Surface primer for me. Just to check it
Did Lowes just shake it for you or did you trust them to add the reducer/catalyst? If you relied on them to really mix the primer for you that may be your answer. Just asking because it really wasn't clear to me. I took kiwi grip there to be tinted and they looked at me like I had two heads. They have absolutely no experience in dealing with automotive or marine type coatings.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Noles309 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:40 am
Eric1 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:07 am I started with a trip to Lowes. They mixed the EMC Surface primer for me. Just to check it
Did Lowes just shake it for you or did you trust them to add the reducer/catalyst? If you relied on them to really mix the primer for you that may be your answer. Just asking because it really wasn't clear to me. I took kiwi grip there to be tinted and they looked at me like I had two heads. They have absolutely no experience in dealing with automotive or marine type coatings.
All Lowes did was shake the product. I also mixed it with a stir mixer. No reducer was added.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Well, As promised Robin got new primer, activator and reducer to me today.
I'm waiting on a respirator and filters to come in. The chemicals made my head a little swimmy after I did the transom.
Yesterday evening after sanding this stuff I was wheezy and not breathing well. I looked everywhere this morning but could not find my old respirator so waiting on Amazon.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Good move getting a respirator. Male sure you have the right cartridge for what you are working with. When doing heavy sanding/grinding I like to use a full face respirator. It sure seems to me like a lot of the paint products are nasty to work with. And to make it worse I think the better the paint the more nasty it is to work with. Be interesting to hear what others think.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I agree with Fuzz make sure you have the right cartridge or you may as well not be using the respirator.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

I use a couple of box fans upwind to suck the fumes away from the boat and out my garage door. The fans are not explosion proof, but so far so good.
Completed D15, Completed PH18

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

I'm guessing you bought a 3m mask or something similar.
You want a OV or VOC cartridge. I have the cartridge product model numbers for 3m at the shop.
If you need them, give me a holler.
Good to hear that EMC is taking care of you 8)
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146