Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Fuzz »

SO......................where is this black bottom :?: Waiting................waiting..........waiting :lol: :lol:
Do not tell me that nasty old thing called work is getting in the way of what is important :help:

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:44 pm SO......................where is this black bottom :?: Waiting................waiting..........waiting :lol: :lol:
Do not tell me that nasty old thing called work is getting in the way of what is important :help:
I got the work knocked out yesterday, now it's weather. Best chance to wash her will be today! I am concerned about the cool temps though. Cracker Larry said this needs to be done on a hot day. I don't know how well it will go in the mid 70's. Plus I hope to line up a helper to mix epoxy while I lay it down.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Use something to warm up the resin. CL suggested the hot day to facilitate viscosity of the epoxy. You need it runny.

Because you are not me or fuzz don't forget:
1. Have spare roller frames with high end rollers ready to go.
2. have a heat gun ready to nuke air bubbles.
3. SIFT THE GRAPHITE
4. Do not use the very end of the cup. If you have lumps that's where they live and you will go nuts trying to remove them once they are on the hull.
5. Since you seem to love sanding, do NOT dry sand that stuff. You really need to wet sand it.
6. Use many THIN COATS instead of a few medium coats. You will be much happier with the result.
7. Don't forget the stagger your tape lines and remove tape after the epoxy sets a bit.

With a hull that size you can probably just go from coat to coat with no real pause. Tape, start at on end working toward other, pull tape, retape, start at end and work toward other, pull tape, repeat. Set aside a number of hours.

Make sure you have some small batches of straight ready to mix to preload the roller when you have to switch frames. That will save you from wasting the graphite mix.

I'm sure you'll knock this out making it look like a mirror. Can't wait to see it.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eric, how much has it cooled off up there? Still really hot here in FL!! Jeff

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Jeff wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:19 am Eric, how much has it cooled off up there? Still really hot here in FL!! Jeff
High today is only suppose to be 78. Current is 68, cloudy slight breeze.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Wow, big change for you!!! Still VERY hot here in Florida!! Jeff

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

I'm prepping for epoxy graphite coating on the bottom. This line is at a 10" waterline. I'll move it down a half inch at a time until I get to 11 inches. Planning 3 coats of EG.

I had to razor trim the frog tape on the spray rail. It did not want to follow the curve.

Next up I wrapped shrink wrap from top edge to the bottom over lapping it to keep any drip off my primer.
I used more frog tape from waterline to shrink wrap.

Best I could do. Holding the line over the spray rails is dang near impossible.

I used poly coated paper on the transom. I don't know why.

Before I start putting the graphite on the bottom I'm going to do a test board using different rollers to see what I think does best.
I have a 3/8" nap roller, a 1/4" nap roller and foam. I also want to see if tipping will bring anything to the picture.
I'll get this set up this afternoon.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eric, as usual, first class prep work!!! Jeff

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Looking good! I'm looking forward to your test results.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Foam. No tip. You don't have much working time. Tipping will leave you with rough streaks.

I'd seriously consider more than three coats. While the graphite is hard it does take a beating. Especially in the impact/rub areas. When I get to the point of redoing Lil Bit I'm going to shoot for at least 6. I'm hoping that will last a bit longer.

That looks like some awesome prep. You will appreciate that.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.