Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Browndog »

Based on your previous work and attention to detail I'm confident that whatever you do will be top notch. Didn't mean to be a naysayer on the cradle approach vs. trailer in your other post.

You will make the best choice for your situation and it will set the bar for all of us to try and emulate. Keep up the fabulous work!

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Browndog wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:40 pm Based on your previous work and attention to detail I'm confident that whatever you do will be top notch. Didn't mean to be a naysayer on the cradle approach vs. trailer in your other post.

You will make the best choice for your situation and it will set the bar for all of us to try and emulate. Keep up the fabulous work!
Thanks and I asked for thoughts and opinions on the trailer idea. I have not decided yet. If I go trailer it will have multiple bunks. I don't mind a different view from anyone. In the end I'll decide what I think works best for me. Thanks again for the compliments. :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

You'll spend more time building with the hull right way up than you have to date. IMO, from here on, the more of the build you can do from outside the boat, the easier it will be. I'd make choices on trailer vs cradle etc, based on this.

To date I've built Skinnydip mostly from the outside, and I don't see that changing.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

How I spent my morning. :D
This is five 6 ounce batches with 2 ounces of graphite per batch.

Other side

Close up

Pulled tape, It was clean.

In the morning I'll strike the next waterline an secure the tape for wet sanding. It won't take much as the test board I did was not this smooth and require very little sanding. This should take even less.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I think most guys would look at results like that and do a little dance, say good enough and carry on. That looks great, glad it went well for you.
Hank

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eric, That is a great finish!! You must be happy with these results!! Again, great work, lots of prep-work to get there but again, great job!! Jeff

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Jeff wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:12 pm Eric, That is a great finish!! You must be happy with these results!! Again, great work, lots of prep-work to get there but again, great job!! Jeff
Thank You Jeff. :D

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

pee wee wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:08 pm I think most guys would look at results like that and do a little dance, say good enough and carry on. That looks great, glad it went well for you.
Thank You too Hank. :D I'm pretty happy with it. We'll see what a couple more coats do. :wink:

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Just as I suspected.........dang thing looks like it came out of a high dollar mold :wink:

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Looks pretty damn smooth Eric!!! That has got to be the nicest graphite job I have seen. Well done Sir!

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright