Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Fuzz »

Eric1 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:47 pm
BB Sig wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:40 pm Beautiful work Squid! Truly a masters hand at work... 8)

I think Fuzz was offering to pay your way to Alaska.... 8O :lol:
Thank You My Crayon Eating Friend! 8)

If that's what Fuzz is offering I might take up the offer. My luck, I'd get up there and have to fair and coat a 100' hull. :lol:
Ticket is no problem. Size of hull to be withheld until said sander is on site :D One thing I can make as a solemn promise is it will not be too hot for sanding :lol: And I have an independent source to verify this. That would be AA :wink:

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Looking sharp Eric 8) Sanding is just no fun. None whatsoever. Even worst when the hull is right side up with flaring sides and on your knees sanding above the shoulders. I bought a cheap straight-line sander to "long board" fair the hull but even that is a pain. The thing weighs 5 pounds and it wanders if the air supply is not at a constant 90 psi. It did the job though - quite efficiently but again everything is so much more comfortable and efficient when sanding in a down position regardless what tools you are using. I don't want to discourage you Bro :help: your 21 foot length will seem like 42 feet in an instant :roll: :wink:

Get some Dura-Blocks :D and keep your work space cool.
Frog Tape rocks !!

Marc

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:39 am Size of hull to be withheld until said sander is on site :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: I did fall off a cabbage truck, but it wasn't last night's! :lol: :lol: :lol:
blueflood wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:59 am Looking sharp Eric 8) Sanding is just no fun. None whatsoever. Even worst when the hull is right side up with flaring sides and on your knees sanding above the shoulders. I bought a cheap straight-line sander to "long board" fair the hull but even that is a pain. The thing weighs 5 pounds and it wanders if the air supply is not at a constant 90 psi. It did the job though - quite efficiently but again everything is so much more comfortable and efficient when sanding in a down position regardless what tools you are using. I don't want to discourage you Bro :help: your 21 foot length will seem like 42 feet in an instant :roll: :wink:

Get some Dura-Blocks :D and keep your work space cool.
Frog Tape rocks !!

Marc
I don't know if you saw way back in my build but I had the same problems with the cheap sanders. The first wore through the sanding plate where it attached to the drive. I took the second one back and bought a Hutchings. Not cheap but it is still going strong! I've already bought some knee pads to help when I go to work right side up. Still, I'm filled with a slight sense of dread to get there. My right has been repaired,. It just feels odd when I have to get on the deck. The left knee is barely holding together. The ACL is a sliver, the meniscus is worn through and as of late the knee tends to over extend causing instant pain. I'm not discouraged by your "heads up" I know all to well what is coming. I have pain pills but I hate the way I feel after they wear off. I have an herbal remedy I take as needed. The problem with that is I can program and run machinery while it's in my system. I may can spread epoxy and sand while on it. We'll see, so far I'm going with Tylenol but it won't be enough after the flip. Alright, Time to go sand some more.
Thanks every one for the kindness and encouragement! It means a lot to this wore out sailor. :)

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Eric, I went back on your early build photos and yep...that's the cheapo sander :lol: A high quality one would make a difference but for less than a hundred bucks, why not try ? At this point I almost did not care about the $. I have so many left-overs...what's the difference with another $75 wasted :lol:

Marc

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

The first side is sanded.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

One bite gone, half an elephant left! :lol:

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

BB Sig wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:11 pm One bite gone, half an elephant left! :lol:
Amen! :lol:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

That was a big half!! Well done!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

I admire your stamina! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

After a weekend of rest my knee feels a lot better. I came in this morning and sanded the second side of the bottom in prep for second coat of E.G..

I'm going to give her a sponge bath after lunch to remove any dust I may have missed. Then tomorrow I'll roll out the second coat.