Narfi's HC14 build thread - LAUNCHED

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Narfi's HC14

Post by narfi »

My wife came out and helped me tonight.
We finished attacking all the air bubbles with x-acto knives then brushed it off really well.

Mixed thin mix of filler, thin enough we could brush it into the bottoms if all the holes we cut out then as a batch was starting to kick and thicken up we would dab the the thicker mix over the filled craters turning the concave spots convex.
20170821_222925.jpg
The primer in the bottoms of the compartments is still soft. The top panels are the driest so I did a test I read in the literature. I dipped my finger in water then rubbed a primed area, it did soften it slightly but not much.

Lesson learned.... the primer is water thinned however you shouldn't apply it on a wet surface at 55f and 100% humidity....... :p

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

That was a lot of fill but you'll be glad you did it! :)

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Narfi, fully agree with Eric that you will be very happy that you took the time to do this when completed!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

If your weather is like mine, rain non stop the past week, I am not surprised the primer is not fully dry yet. :cry:
Good thing is one nice day in your shed and it will be dry.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:42 pm If your weather is like mine, rain non stop the past week, I am not surprised the primer is not fully dry yet. :cry:
Good thing is one nice day in your shed and it will be dry.
Yeah its been a cold wet summer :/
Atleast I had that nice week when I first started the project :)

Was beautiful last night about 1am, did a late oil change on the generators and was walking home, the sky was clear and stary, the air was still not too cold since we did have sun yesterday. Love moments like those.

This morning though after a clear night was cold though, down into the 30s.... first day this fall my bare hands have gotten cold on the 4wheeler driving to work.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I could never live up there. I guess I've gotten soft as I've gotten old.

If you have an electric space heater it would help the primer dry.

Or you could move to a more reasonable climate :p
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Finally a sunny day. Got home and the tent had finally done some baking.
20170823_004136.jpg
Decided to test out the yoke. It seems strong and the attachment to the hull seems strong. Was awkward getting it up on my shoulders but once up was easy to cary around. Realized afterwards I didn't need to lift the whole thing up.... just one end and then stand under it while one end is still on the ground..... tried that way and was quite easy.
20170823_004304.jpg

Did a lot of sanding inside, around the yoke attachment, seat attachment, and general fairing.

Put the first coat of paint in the compartments. It brushed easily even with the spray activator.
20170823_004215.jpg
Like I said before.... the prime and paint in the compartments is my idiot test. The dampest of the compartments for primer had dried completely but not cured 100% I could still dig a fingernail into it as well as soften it with a wet finger. Will see if I get any reaction between it and the Awlgrip

Finished at 12.40am

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Got up before work and put another coat of paint in the compartments and glued the tops down.
20170823_103620.jpg
That's almost it for structure.
Going to put a layer of 4oz over the compartments and then it's just fairing to finish and bits and pieces like rounding over the rub rails etc.....

My paint experiments in the compartments were just to see how much you could stretch the rules..... for the rest of the painting I will be spraying and following the rules..... I hope....

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by bigyellowtractor »

Looking good Narfi

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Compartment top glue wasn't ready to sand yet so I flipped it over and sanded off the spot fairing We had put on the outside. Then touched up the spots we had missed. I think this is the last to go on the outside. (I hope)
20170823_235415.jpg
So what ratio do you mix the graphite?
Last edited by narfi on Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.