Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Fuzz »

No matter how many coats you end up putting on it I just know it will end up looking perfect :D The only problem the way I see it is the first time you bump into something you are going to lay down and cry :lol:

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

I'm thinking you wont want to put this boat up on a beach anytime soon. Looks fantastic.
Alan.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Thanks everyone! There are a couple of places I sometimes have to beach but not often. As far as rubbing the hull, I think every boat owner cries when that happens. The worst for me was a time we were catching bait at a jetty. Lessons learned: Barnacle encrust rocks will badly scar your bottom and that 10 yard hole full of menhaden is only 5 feet wide when throwing a cast net. :lol:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Eric check your PM.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Nice work Eric. Looking forward to the flip. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Well I have the final waterline taped off. The bottom has been scuffed ans washed. Now if I just had time to roll the last coat on.
I have some parts to set up and run. Tomorrow I have to run the dog to the clipper and may not have time to roll. Saturday, My brother and nephew are going with me to pick up a bunch of marine ply from Tom so I won't roll Saturday. I am going to run one final application test today to see if a slight change in the formula and roll type with yield a smoother finish. I had a Bunch of air bubbles on the last coat and I am going to see if I can get rid of most of them (hopefully all of them). I also plan to have a heat gun handy for the test board. I'm going to cut the graphite to 15% of total mix and see if I like it.

Here is the final waterline taped up.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Final application test. This make the thinnest coating so far. Bubbles were very tiny and there is some fiber even though I prepped the roller.
The heat gun performed well to break the bubbles up and flatten the EG. Tipping was again a waste of time. The pictures don't show the results as well as in person. I will go with nap roller and heat gun for final coat.

1/4 Nap Roller alone. 3 ounce mixed with 1/2 ounce graphite and 6 drops of black epoxy dye.

This section was same roller plus heat gun.

Last section, same roller, heat gun and tipped with foam brush dipped in alcohol.

Side view of panel.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Try to warm the test pieces before rolling, if that works maybe the heater under the hull I was telling you about isn't such a bad idea?

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Peter, I think I'm going to roll the boat outside and let the sun warm the hull for a couple of hours before I put the last coat on it. I have no good way of warming from underneath. I have a small space heater but I doubt it will transfer enough heat make a difference.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I haven't read the CL tips in a while but I think:
1. You should reduce graphite in each layer by 30%
2. The warmed resin/heat gun addresses bubbles. Heat gun pointed right at bubbles but fat enough away that it doesn't ripple the surface.

CL was pretty adamant about this being the one time heat was your friend.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.