Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Eric1 »

Thanks Browndog, Marc and Mr.Paul! :D
All this talk of me doing more sanding on the bottom really cracks me up! :lol:

Happy Saturday my fellow boat bums! We have glorious weather here today so I'm inside with Danielle solving a minor issue with the rub rails.
After looking at Jacques drawings for the top edge of the side panels I wanted to shift the dimensions to accommodate cutting these from a single panel. After moving eight foot sections in my CAM system I could not get dimensions I could easily measure. Plus I didn't think the batten I used would bend the same over so few points.
My solution is to tape up poster board sections wider than the 2" wide rub rail I intend. I left that hanging below the edge of the boat. Once it was over the entire side I used a razor against the edge of the boat and cut the waste paper even.
Here is Danielle doing her impression of a Price is Right model. :lol: She is so much fun to be around. :D

Now I take a small square and mark a 2" line from transom to bow. If you do this keep your left thumb against your right ring finger to keep the square and pencil moving together. Your hands are very stable this way.

Everything above the line is waste. This should allow me to move this template around on the plywood to minimize waste. I know I can get one layer from a single sheet for both sides. I may use two layer of 1/4" though. I will mock it up before I decide.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Well done Eric!!! Nice system!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Very slick there Eric. That should make installing the rub rails very clean.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Eric nice use of the scribe method. My dad taught me that a long time ago when working with wood. Everything is looking good guy.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

8) 8) 8)
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

I think I'm starting to figure out your thought process. This kind of scares me. :lol:
You won't be sorry that you are putting on the wood rubrail sub-rail.
Remember as you cut the wood strips that each will be a different width in order to match the angle of the deck or gunwale.
Looking good!
Build on...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Thanks Fellas. We didn't layout the other side. Danielle wanted lunch. After we enjoyed the day just goofing off.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:10 pm I think I'm starting to figure out your thought process. This kind of scares me. :lol:
You won't be sorry that you are putting on the wood rubrail sub-rail.
Remember as you cut the wood strips that each will be a different width in order to match the angle of the deck or gunwale.
Looking good!
Build on...
Thanks Richard. I'm going to leave them proud so I can plane that surface after the flip. I noticed the angular shift from the creeper I used to block sand any hanging fiberglass. :)

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Happy Labor Day!

I got kinda bored with no dove field to hunt so Danielle and I came to the shop to layout the other side.

Such concentration!

Y'all have a great day! :D

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Must be great to have your kids take an interest in your project. Mine just looked at me like I was nuts :cry: