Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Jaysen »

Eric1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:18 pm Maybe tomorrow I'll think first!
Don't do it! If you do you might start sanding.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:28 pm
Eric1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:18 pm Maybe tomorrow I'll think first!
Don't do it! If you do you might start sanding.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Eric, when the boat is right way up, do you want the finished bottom of the timber/glass portion of the rub rail to be at right angles to the hull, horizontal athwartships, or sloping up from the hull? First layer looking good. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

glossieblack wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:21 pm Eric, when the boat is right way up, do you want the finished bottom of the timber/glass portion of the rub rail to be at right angles to the hull, horizontal athwartships, or sloping up from the hull? First layer looking good. :D
Thanks Glossie. :) I'm not sure yet,leaning towards a simple right angle but it depends on how I join the gunwales.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Hi Eric, the boat looks great. I'm really enjoying reading you're build thread as I'm unable to work on my boat till I get home. I did the same as your proposing and went for a 90 deg. angle between the bottom of the rub rail and the hull. I found it easier to get things square and it forms a negative angle when the boat is turned back over. I'm hoping this will help prevent spray from migrating over the top like a backup spray rail. Alan.
Alan.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fair WX Pilot wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:27 pm Hi Eric, the boat looks great. I'm really enjoying reading you're build thread as I'm unable to work on my boat till I get home. I did the same as your proposing and went for a 90 deg. angle between the bottom of the rub rail and the hull. I found it easier to get things square and it forms a negative angle when the boat is turned back over. I'm hoping this will help prevent spray from migrating over the top like a backup spray rail. Alan.
Thanks Alan. I was just thinking it would match/accent the style line already on the boat. Your thoughts however are plausible. :D

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Good Morning Everyone.
I got the first layer glued to the hull on the right. I paid attention and it went better than yesterday. :D
I used 4.5 ounces of epoxy in 3 batches to do this. I tossed about an 1 1/2 ounces of waste. That was enough for a spit coat on the glue side of the rails plus the wood flour glue. At the end I added more wood flour and made a putty to fill the bow where the two sides meet. After the next two layers are on I'll form a nice radius there.

Bow

Last edited by Eric1 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Excellent!

When does they sanding start?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:05 am Excellent!

When does they sanding start?
That's not the question. The question is when does it end?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I sit corrected