Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by csotelo »

Looking good my friend!

Good idea to cut the strips with curves, bend then in the bow is a PITA.

Regards,

Carlos

danieloldhouse
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by danieloldhouse »

Eric1 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:16 am
Jaysen wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:05 am Excellent!

When does they sanding start?
That's not the question. The question is when does it end?
:help: :help: :help:

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

I didn't get started until after lunch. I had to wait for my newest employee to finish her job at noon.
Danielle is answering our phone and doing office work for us. So when you call you will hear her sweet voice instead of mine.

We have the second layer of rub rail on. Every thing was test fitted and matched to the first layer as best as possible.

Transom profile. I think once I add the Tessilmare rail to this it will look great. :D

Going to get the second layer on the other side tomorrow.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Eric1 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:29 pm
Transom profile. I think once I add the Tessilmare rail to this it will look great. :D
I agree. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eric, I agree with you on the Tessilmare!! I will check back with them tomorrow regarding your two additional end caps!! By the way Danielle did a great job on the phones yesterday!!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Nice to have your daughter working for you. But I bet it is different for her than the others, they can not say but.............daddy :lol: :lol: Every little girl has daddy wrapped around her finger, and we like it :D

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:28 pm Nice to have your daughter working for you. But I bet it is different for her than the others, they can not say but.............daddy :lol: :lol: Every little girl has daddy wrapped around her finger, and we like it :D
Only a little Fuzz. She has to do her job just like everybody else. :D

I talked with AA about planing this. He wanted to send me a router bit that would do the job.
While I know that would work great I felt he probably has enough on his plate without worrying over my boat build.
So here is how I'm edge matching my rub rails.
First I set the second layer just proud of the lowest area of the first rail. This put me a good bit high at the back edge on this piece.

I added some blue tape to the working side of the plane.
This has to be replace every five feet or so but it helps keep scuffs of the hull.

Here is the same edge after planing and sanding.
The black mark on the previous piece is so I can line these back up when I glue them on.

I'm considering using aluminum/epoxy of these for toughness. I may paint over them as well.
I'm off to finish the rest of it. Y'all have a great day. :)
Last edited by Eric1 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I know I'm late, but why not just plane it all AFTER gluing it?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:08 am I know I'm late, but why not just plane it all AFTER gluing it?
You could certainly do that if you choose.
I prefer to spend more time getting the prep as close as I can and then move forward to the next step.
Just mt way of doing things. :)

Anyway the last layer is on.

I had a small amount of plain epoxy mixed so I put a spit coat on the first side.
I had no idea this ply was so pretty. I may leave the rub rails bright. :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I get it. I was just thinking that you'll have some glue push and will feed your sanding habit with plane then glue. Glue then plane would produce a finished surface. I do t think there's a right or wrong here. Just wondering if I missed something important that had you to plane then glue.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.