Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by peter-curacao »

If you gonna paint it you might consider giving the outer corner (under) a radius with a router and put a fillet into the inner corner, I did it that way and I'm glad I did, it just gives you a much nicer grip opposite to hard corners. I try to find you a pic to explain better.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

I understand. Even if I leave the wood finished bright a radius is a good idea. :wink:

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Eric1 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:17 pm I understand. Even if I leave the wood finished bright a radius is a good idea. :wink:
keep in mind that If you rout the plywood it will give you different colors because of the multi layers, here's a pic to explain my previous comment better, not the best pic but it gives you an idea I hope.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Very Nice Peter!

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Eric, your rubrail looks great! I'll hang on to the router bit, I think you came up with a nice alternative. 8)
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:03 am Eric, your rubrail looks great! I'll hang on to the router bit, I think you came up with a nice alternative. 8)
Thank You Richard. :D

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

I didn't work the build this weekend. I was rear ended Friday as I waited to turn in my driveway.The jerk ran from the scene. I got the tag and make of the car. The police are looking for him. My back and shoulder were very sore Saturday so I did very little. Sunday was Danielle's 19th birthday so Saturday night I cooked the meal she asked for. Steaks, Baked potato, salad with a nice Danish blue cheese and roasted onions. We just took it easy.
She was in the car as well but she had no adverse effects.

Today I removed the clamps and sanded the tops of the rub rails. As nice as the plywood looks I've decided to paint them. I really don't want the upkeep of bright work. I think the black Tessilmare rail will look good on the gray wooden rail.
No pictures today I was/am covered in work in the machine shop.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good talk today and glad you are doing better following the crazy driver reading his text and hitting you in the rear last Friday afternoon!!! These folks should lose their license for an extended period!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

I'm impressed by the logical way you're thinking ahead with your rub rails Eric. The result will be spot on. 8)
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Eric sorry to hear about the accident glad to know your okay. The rub rail is looking great! Also sent you a PM.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978