Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Post by narfi »

Printed out a "shop copy" of my plans and took them out to the "boat factory".
20170919_215112.jpg
Sanded all the epoxy lumps off the table. (Just so Fuzz can tell me, "I told you so")
20170919_215200.jpg
Plywood Inventory: 10 sheets of 3/8" Okoume and 6 and 2/3s sheets of 1/4" Okoume.

Looking at the nesting and trying to figure out the best way to use the partial sheet I think I had a good idea but would like feedback before actually cutting.

I'll cut the two rear side panels from it which leaves nearly 2x lengthwise 1/2 sheets for cutting rubrails from.
20170919_215309.jpg
20170919_215553.jpg
20170919_215340.jpg

I will cut my molds from OSB. However when it comes time to make the bulkheads I don't see them in the nesting pages. I assume they are from 3/8" ????

Are the motor well sides supposed to be glued to the stringers before assembly?

I don't understand the diagram of the motor well on page D284/5
1. Are there any square corners on the motor well side panels?
2. What is the purpose of the gap/notch cut out of it against the transom?

I'm sure I'll have more questions going forward....

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Post by Fuzz »

Well it looks like the boat building virus has a total hold on you. :D Not wasting any time getting the next one started.
If it were me I would have claimed I was slowly water proofing my work table :lol:
Not sure without having plans in front of me but I do not think you glue anything to the stringers until after the flip. Hope someone who has built one will chime in.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Hi Narfi. First on the motor well. Screw the panels to the stringers. The motor well side panels set the angle of the transom. Yes there are square corners where it will be attached to the bulkhead in front of the transom. There should be a dimensional diagram of it.

Now be careful of your cutting I count 9 various pieces from 4 sheets of plywood in those nesting diagrams. The only scrap I see is in the upper left piece where the bottom is cut out and leaves you with about 1/3 of a sheet 8' long. Your red circles are just 2 of 6 parts I see on those 2 4 x 8 sheets of plywood on the right. Two of the pieces may be scrap but they are short only about 3' long. You will have to wait and see if they match up with something and get added to the end of the sides maybe.

I am on vacation away from the house so cannot look at the plans but I do read nesting diagrams well. For example the extensions extending past the 4 x 8 sheets come from other parts of the nesting diagrams.

If I can help in any other way let me know.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Those 2 sheets shown on the left are actually 4 mirrored sheets. The two on the right are not. So it looks like 4 sheets but is 6.

The bottom is made up of 4 panels and each side is made of 3, so a total of 10 peices shown in that nesting diagram.

Not sure if I'm making sense or not.....

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Alright my Friend! I'm looking forward to watching you and Landon build this one. I enjoyed your canoe build and I know this one will go even better.
I should have built a smaller boat to learn on but I'm hard headed. :lol:

remedy32

Post by remedy32 »

Those 2 sheets shown on the left are actually 4 mirrored sheets. The two on the right are not. So it looks like 4 sheets but is 6.

The bottom is made up of 4 panels and each side is made of 3, so a total of 10 peices shown in that nesting diagram.
Right! On my older printed plans the actual "parts" are bold outlined. In addition the pieces are labeled "side" or "bottom". As you say, you'll need to make 2 sets of the panels that include the bottom.

Regarding the MW sides on plate 284/5..... yes, the forward facing angles are both 90. The cutout engages the transom which is NOT full thickness from top to bottom, but rather mostly in the clamping area at the top. This can be seen well in the profile section drawing just to the right of the MW diagram on 284/5.

The only "bulkhead" not in the nesting drawings is "A" as I recall. This can be made either from your okume plywood or from OSB at this stage. If you're certain about the configuration you're building you might as well just make it from the okume. If not 100% decided use OSB on the jig and cut the final panel later to avoid wasting a $100 piece of wood. It is part of the finished structure but is removed after flipping the hull to allow for building the inside seams along the chine and centerline. Later you'll tab it into place permanently.

Looks like you're off and running...great. But do read the build notes over and over before cutting and gluing too much together. There are a few well documented FS17 builds from the past few years. They were a big help to me when I built mine.

Good luck.

Bill
CT

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Thanks guys.
Remedy, I was looking at your thread, nice boat!
I had briefly thought about a raised sheer but didn't order enough extra plywood so that decision is easier now :p

Tonight I cut middle and rear side panels out.
Drew the forward bottom panels out on the plywood but then got stuck on a nesting issue.

I am struggling with how to draw the bow side panels. The plans give dimensions from a square corner but nesting diagram has it sitting kittywompas.(is that a word?)

Is there an obvious solution I'm not seeing?
I had considered cutting a template out of osb but that seems wasteful......
Is there plans with edge distances to match the nesting diagram somewhere?
20170920_210045.jpg

remedy32

Post by remedy32 »

Is there an obvious solution I'm not seeing?
Simple answer-----yes.

The "mating" edge of that from panel is at 90 degrees to the reference line from which all offsets are taken. So using a framing square or similar, create that reference line as a "phantom" extending onto another sheet or long scrap. Think I'd just nail the 5' or so uncut piece onto a sheet of OSB that you already have (just to keep it still), create the line with the straight side of a scrap cutoff (or whatever), and draw the offsets. Measure twice (OK eleven times :lol: ) and cut the piece. Check how it mates to the rest of the side panel and use it as a guide for the second one. FYI, I'm pretty sure that the offsets at the 90 edge of this are 1-7/8 and 25-1/4. The drawing might be a bit confusing because both numbers cant occupy the same space when drawing the plan.

By the way, I bet there is a tutorial on layout methods on the Bateau site.

Hope this make sense. Easier for me to visualize than to say.

All kidding aside, always measure many times before going near the saw.

Bill

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

remedy32 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:53 am All kidding aside, always measure many times before going near the saw.
And then back away from the saw, call the wife, and have her measure it properly for you.

Although that may just be for me...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Narfi always keep in mind that Jacques lays out the parts on the nesting diagrams to use the least amount of wood possible, so what looks strange on them will work out when you start joining things.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978