EMC topcoat hardness

technical support and information on EMC topcoats and coatings
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

EMC topcoat hardness

Post by Jaysen »

What is the expected cure time for EMC topcoat to reach full hardness?

Considering the v12 mast and spar design, what sorts need to be taken to prevent rub through at the step, partner, sprit/mast contact and lacing co tact points?

Thank you.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: EMC topcoat hardness

Post by topwater »

You could buy an oar leather kit and use it to wrap the sprit where it makes contact with the mast.
The bottom of the mast and where it makes contact thru the thwart tape off and use graphite and
epoxy , same for the mast step contact areas. Just a thought .
Novi 23 finally launched !

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Full Cure is 7 days, according to Spec Sheet

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Topwater's got it right although I might be tempted to use leather at the partners also. You can use the same tallow you use on the oar leathers to grease it. That would be cool. At the step graphite/epoxy should do fine.
Are you going to actually going to make a beautiful mast by hand and then paint it? What's wrong with you?
No clear top coat is going to last more than a season kept outside but if you unstep the mast and put it in the garage it will last for several years with normal spar varnish.

Sorry about the health problems and even more sorry for the very unpleasant personnel issues at work. I managed, by lack of ambition/intelligence/competence, to avoid ever becoming a boss.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I would not call my mast beautiful. What I will call it is "owned by a lazy man". Painting is less maintenance. It will be outside but stored IN Lil Bit under a cover. Ergo not exposed to sunlight or direct weather when not in use.

My original idea was to graphite the step area, partner area and sprit/mast contact point. Oyster white between step and partner, fighting lady above partner. Mrs looked at me and reached for the fry pan. I'm slow but not stupid so graphite will need to be on the step area only. I'm a bit opposed to actual leather and would likely start with twine/rope as an easier to source/replace option. given the 2" diameter mast and the 3" diameter hole specified in the mast partner I have LOTS of room to play with. My current experience with the EMC hardness is giving me pause on this idea of wrapping the painted surfaces.

My top coat is still taking finger nail impressions. I'm not quite at 7 days though. I'll give it a few more to see it if hardens up. Granted I will need to do some touch up thanks to mr eager getting the paint dinged up when not quite cured...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

thanks to mr eager getting the paint dinged up when not quite cured
That's OK. Your future holds many, many, many opportunities for dings. :wink: :roll: :lol:
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:23 am
thanks to mr eager getting the paint dinged up when not quite cured
That's OK. Your future holds many, many, many opportunities for dings. :wink: :roll: :lol:
I know. You should see the bottom of the frying pan!

;)

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Well not boat building related...I burst out laughing at work when I read the hilarious one-liners from you two :lol: :lol:
Thanks for making my day :D :wink:

Marc