Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Fuzz »

Man Eric, you have had more than your share of trials and tribulations during this build :( I hope things will go your way for a while and you can move ahead :D

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:08 pm Man Eric, you have had more than your share of trials and tribulations during this build :( I hope things will go your way for a while and you can move ahead :D
Thank you my Friend. It all works out in the end. :D

Not much going on with the boat. I'm slammed with work at the machine shop and short handed. Monday I have a 12' stick of 1.5" x 4.125" 316ss coming in. It's going to be a bunch of small connections I'll have to mill. Plus I have some poultry processing parts to make on top of our regular work. So today I came by with my full crew to put a coat of epoxy on the rub rails to seal the wood. I only put it on the vertical surface because I'm going to put a small radius on the edges. I have a set of tools ordered to work with but they have not come in yet.

The help: :D

The rub rails.

These are the tools I ordered. I must be crazy but I like hand tools when I'm working on something like this.
I don't expect a great finish working the edge of plywood but it will ruff the radius in for me.

Really hoping to have the rails ready for primer by next friday. I want to get the boat painted before cool weather gets here.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Where did you get those tools? I have a Slickplane that works OK for rounding over edges, but those look super neat as well!

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Netpackrat wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:15 pm Where did you get those tools? I have a Slickplane that works OK for rounding over edges, but those look super neat as well!
I ordered these from Woodcraft.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Rub rails look great!! Also nice to help that expert assistance your daughters provide!! I should have your end caps Monday. Their shop had been closed due to IRMA damage!! Have a good weekend!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Eric those are some nice tools. Try to use them in one long continuos sweep if you can. Trying to start and stop can lead to hi or low spots. They work fine on plywood, just may need to sand it.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Just so you know................I am missing my morning sanding fix :D

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:24 pm Just so you know................I am missing my morning sanding fix :D
I'm sorry Fuzz. I have been waiting on tools to come in. I got them late yesterday and did a test cut, they will do fine. Monday I got underneath the boat and knocked off all the places epoxy and wood flour had came through the filled holes and seams. I started with a small hand sander, it was slow, dusty and tended to cut into the bare wood. My solution was a 1/2" chisel and a hammer. I could put the edge of the chisel against the epoxy and with a light tap of the hammer the epoxy would cut flush. As I've said my knees are shot so anything I can do now will be better than after the flip.
I'm going to cut the radii this morning then do a test of epoxy and powdered aluminum.
After that I have to get back to machine work. I got word from our largest stainless vendor the price is going up in October so I spent Monday afternoon and all day yesterday adjusting prices on about three hundred parts we make. Today I have to set up a mill on that 316ss plate work that came in. I'll post the work for y'all as I go. Then write a program for a live tooled lathe job.
I'm feeling a bit pressured because I want this boat painted and flipped by the end of the year. I have to finish and prime the rub rails, prime them and paint the boat before cool weather gets here. I want to paint on a Friday and let it cure over the weekend. Then I plan to roll it outside every day for a week to let the sun further cure the paint. After that I have to frame up a structure to flip the girl over.
Well that's where I stand for now. Hoping for time to make progress.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

This is how it's going.

Before corner tools has cut.

After tool has cut. Of course the end grain layer in the plywood looks like crap.

After a bit of sanding.

Side view. Left is not radiused, right is.

Next I'll fill the lows with some Quick Fair or epoxy and wood flour.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Yeah... you're an over achiever in my book. :P

That looks great. She will make all the production boats look like fecal deposits from the day she hits the water till the day all those poorly built production boats sink.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.