Plans similar to F37?

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
mrd05d
New Poster
New Poster

Plans similar to F37?

Post by mrd05d »

I was wondering if there were any plans for something similar to a freeman 37. I didn't see anything but i figured id ask anyhow. I really like the cs25 but i really wanted something between 32' and 37'.

http://i502.photobucket.com/albums/e424 ... 4287ef.jpg

mrd05d
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Plans similar to F37?

Post by mrd05d »

After using the search I see others have already asked this type of question prior. I saw a post stating that it was on a list to draw up. I hope that is still the case. It would be a very cool build I think.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, I still plan to design a larger CS25, about 28'.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer »

I'm looking to build a boat like the CS25 in the not-so-distant future and was hoping for a 27' or 28' version by that time. I'm hoping to start buying plywood sheets and epoxy for the hull within the next 12 months.

Would you be able to give an approximate time frame for an eventual plan for a 27-28' version of the CS25?

Thanks.
8ft dinghy built in 1992, BBV sufferer ever since.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Out of curiousity, what is the big forward section of the Freeman 37 used for? It looks like a massive waste of boat to me, but I can't really tell if it is a huge cabin up there or just a walking area for fishing. I can't imagine needing that space for walking around to fish when it could be done on a deck. And as Cats go, the Freeman 37 looks very narrow for its length. I'd have to think they accommodate that by making a very heavy hull that requires major horsepower. Like 600hp?

A boat that is much nicer than the F37 would be the Woods Skoota powercat. He has them from 28' to 32' in demountable designs. They are rated to 25mph or so light ship, so if you want the speed of the Freeman, you'd have to find a different approach. The Woods cats are more efficient (might get 6mpg, yes 6 mpg at cruise of 10kts, not 6gpm at WOT like the Freeman) and make much better use of space and still have a darn nice cockpit for fishing. Okay, I know my compare isn't fair, but if you have the power, you use it, and if you are about economy, you use it. I am building the demountable 32'.

Otherwise, if you want that big fast cat to get you to fishing grounds in a hurry, I don't know of any powercat designs that are that massive. If you just want a big and fast fishing boat, then the Mertens 28' would be all the boat anyone would need without the wasted forward section. It looks like it'd be a really dry ride. Of course, it'd ride differently than the F37 cat hulls. And if you want fishing space, the 28 could probably be modified for more cockpit.

Caveat: I like fishing a bunch.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495