Please use this forum to tell us about problems you are having with the forum software, or the new site. This lets us keep the boat building discussions free from clutter.

Your comments and tips are appreciated.
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Avatars

Post by gonandkarl »

Thanks Peter,
With your help I got a picture uploaded. I choose remote avatar and then the link of the picture in the bateau library and then I specified your 80 by 80 pixel size underneath. Better a small picture than none at all.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

That limit to 80 x 80 sure is small, I'd call it pee-wee!
Hank

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

there should be some resteictions.... this isnt a teenie bopper social media site.... i have seen sites with avatar and signature slots waaayyyyy out of control before.

but i think 250x250 is a good compromise.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

80x80 is pretty standard for PHPBB. You have to think about the entire size of the "page" relative to laptop and other small screens. A typical laptop is 1024x786. Of that you lose some to OS headers/menus/docks, then more to the app window (header, scroller, etc). Now you cram a 250x250 image in side of every post and you have very little room left for the actual post.

I'm not disagreeing that 80x80 is small, but only providing the reason these small sizes are preferred from the tech side of the house.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

I'm not asking for huge avatar sizes , just a little bigger lets say 200x 200 this won't as far as I know not have any influence on the layout of the page and/or posting size width, it just fills the empty (blue)space that is already there, that way it's a little more clear what the avatar shows without having to know the bigger original.