PY12 - Plyak build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: PY12 - Plyak build

Post by terrulian »

Can you explain how the scupper is going to function?
I'm also wondering about the depthsounder. What is the reason for that on a kayak?
You are a careful worker and I've no doubt you've thought this through, so I'm just curious.
Tony

snail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by snail »

terrulian wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:56 pm Can you explain how the scupper is going to function?
I'm also wondering about the depthsounder. What is the reason for that on a kayak?
You are a careful worker and I've no doubt you've thought this through, so I'm just curious.
The Kayak will be a fishing kayak. The areas I will be fishing don't have a lot of cover so knowing areas where the depth changes is important in locating fish. It's pretty common to install fish finders on fishing Kayaks these days. Most of the time this involves a mount that hangs the transducer over the side, or it gets mounted in a box glued to the hull. I'm trying to design a more elegant solution that places the transducer below the water line. The cable will enter through a cable gland in the enclosure I designed.

As for the scuppers I will be mounting two drain fittings in the sole. Those fittings will get connected to hoses that run into a fitting mounted in the enclosure. I will show pictures of this as I get to it.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Cool. We see a lot of people fishing from kayaks in Tomales Bay and I've been noticing ever-increasing high-tech gear. I'll have to check out what they're doing for depth.
Tony

snail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by snail »

Anyone know how much foam is needed under the sole? I don't see this listed anywhere in the plans.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It's up to you.
You don't have to add foam, the hull material floats but it is a good idea to add some foam to provide extra buoyancy.
In that boat, I would put some foam in the ends.
A 2 gallon kit expands to provides 480 lbs of buoyancy but it is difficult to pour that much foam in the small Plyak.
I would buy one or two quarts kits, each will give you 120 lbs flotation.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

snail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by snail »

jacquesmm wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:31 pm It's up to you.
You don't have to add foam, the hull material floats but it is a good idea to add some foam to provide extra buoyancy.
In that boat, I would put some foam in the ends.
A 2 gallon kit expands to provides 480 lbs of buoyancy but it is difficult to pour that much foam in the small Plyak.
I would buy one or two quarts kits, each will give you 120 lbs flotation.
Does this mean that point 11 on page 4 is not true? It states: 11. Buoyancy foam under sole, required.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Snail, this is in the study plans for the PY12 and may also be in your plans: "The cockpit sole and the foam under the cockpit are part of the structure."
Hank

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It is required.
I reply from memory. In most of my designs, foam is optional but in some cases I use the foam as part of the structure.
If the plans say to use it, use it.

snail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by snail »

jacquesmm wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:54 am It is required.
I reply from memory. In most of my designs, foam is optional but in some cases I use the foam as part of the structure.
If the plans say to use it, use it.
Thanks. Should 2 quarts fill the area under the sole?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I don't know, I may have calculated it but I am not in the office right now.
It will be at least 2 x 2 quarts kits and a two gallon kit is a better deal than 3 qts. I would buy a 2 gallon kit.